• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

For those driving to Lincoln tomorrow

Andy Holloway

From a friend who lives in the Midlands;

"Anyone driving to Lincoln saturday should be aware that there is a major road closure at Nottingham between junctions 23A Castle Donnington & Junction 24 Kegworth/South Leicester. the M1 being closed from late on Friday (tomorrow the 11th May) to Sunday (morning the13th) for the installation of a new bridge.

This is going to cause big problems across the whole area?

I would expect most people travelling from the south & west would leave the M1 at Leicester J21A to take the A46 ring road/bypass across the top of Leicester and then via A46 to Newark and on to Lincoln? Well I would, and would miss the road closure?

But if you are not aware of that direct route and stay on the M1 I suggest there will be chaos on the M1 north of Leicester?

As the M1 is always very slow with heavy traffic north of Leicester and especially around Nottingham i expect the closure will cause delays possibly back to Leicester and therefore many people will take the direct route north and east via the A46 to the A1(M) at Newark, therefore there could be problems on that road and at Newark where the (rubbish) ring road is always slow!

So even if taking the correct route (in my opinion) via A46 Newark you should allow for this road closure both to the game and then when travelling home? The final couple of miles into Lincoln is also a nightmare!

Hope that helps and you can share with anyone you know is travelling in this direction for the game?"

Root_Control

Tomorrow is also the Nottinghamshire Show at the Newark Show ground which is east (Lincoln side) of Newark on the A46, expect long delays there too.