• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2018

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Just realised no thread on this as yet...

My second season playing for Kempton in the Surrey Championship started last Saturday. Was due to be in the safe confines of the 3s (my preferred team from last season), only there was a dropout in the 4s and they'd found a replacement who could only play at home, so I stepped aside. Instead of playing a very weak Kingstonian 3s at home I played against a far stronger Kingstonian 4s away - not sure how they worked out their squads on that basis!

After creaming a cover drive off the middle of the bat straight to cover first ball, that was as good as it got as I played an early season shot, attempting a big drive the ball stopped on me and went straight in the air instead of crashing to the boundary, and I was C&B for 3. We recovered from 20/5 to post 87 all out, but it was never going to be enough as they knocked them off for the loss of 2.

I got an apologetic phone call from the 4s Skip (and club Chairman) this week saying because the 2s had a load of extra players meaning several dropped to the 3s I'd be in the 4s again - I don't care where I play as long as I get a game, I'm not precious etc. Plus it means I'll be playing at home, which suits me.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
2 games called off due to lack of players from the opposition. Try again on Sunday.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Retired and wasn’t going to play following 20 summers on the spin of playing senior proper cricket , didn’t pre-season , didn’t play the first game on Saturday.....but couldn’t help check the result and ended up going for a bowl tonight.....

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Retired and wasn’t going to play following 20 summers on the spin of playing senior proper cricket , didn’t pre-season , didn’t play the first game on Saturday.....but couldn’t help check the result and ended up going for a bowl tonight.....
Ha, you just know it - once the sun comes out, weekends without a trundle or a swish of the willow don't feel the same!

manc grecian

1st game, 2nd ball defying my age and belly I fly to take a breathtaking catch at slip....Get nowhere near it and dislocated my finger. Stupid game

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Played at Uplyme & Lyme Regis Saturday was like going back playing cricket 30 years ago proper village ground & green top wicket...we won though scoring 205 from our 45 overs before bowling them out for 64

I managed to bowl 9 overs on the spin and took 3-17

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
....Get nowhere near it and dislocated my finger. Stupid game
Or, as described by William Temple the Archbishop of Canterbury, "Cricket is organised loafing."

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Played at Uplyme & Lyme Regis Saturday was like going back playing cricket 30 years ago proper village ground & green top wicket...we won though scoring 205 from our 45 overs before bowling them out for 64

I managed to bowl 9 overs on the spin and took 3-17
I've been past that ground on the bus from Charmouth to Axminster, looks lovely.

Anyway as soon as the oppo's batsmen walked out to the middle it started to rain. We toiled through 9 sodden overs before the ball turned into a bar of soap and our Skip almost decapitated their batsmen twice in one over. We went off, and were soon shaking hands.

With no Sky in our clubhouse I walked to the nearby pub only to be told they wouldn't be able to show the game, so raced home, tried to get Sky Sports added to my Virgin Media package for a month (as I've done before) only to be told my package/box was too old. Eventually bought a Now TV week pass and watched on my laptop from about half an hour in.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Cracking game against Valley End on Saturday. Batting first I put a pad on, then went to put the other one on and it wasn't in my bag! Presumed lost at Kingstonian the other week, grrrr. I was considering getting new ones anyway then decided they could hang on another year, they made my mind up for me.

Anyway, I scored 31 on our pudding of a track as we posted 167/6 off our 45. In the meantime I turned my toe purple when I banged one into it.

In reply I copped a black eye when deflecting a diving stop onto the side of my eye, but I recovered to take three catches, two of them worldies, as we bowled them out for 146.

Final note - 13 year old Ollie Barrow. Remember the name. Left arm seamer, got me through the gate with one he jagged back to take the top of off stump. When batting he only scored 15 but his technique was off the charts. With the right attitude I have no doubt he'll play professionally - the best 13 year old I've played with/against since my old mucker.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Cracking game against Valley End on Saturday. Batting first I put a pad on, then went to put the other one on and it wasn't in my bag! Presumed lost at Kingstonian the other week, grrrr. I was considering getting new ones anyway then decided they could hang on another year, they made my mind up for me.

Anyway, I scored 31 on our pudding of a track as we posted 167/6 off our 45. In the meantime I turned my toe purple when I banged one into it.

In reply I copped a black eye when deflecting a diving stop onto the side of my eye, but I recovered to take three catches, two of them worldies, as we bowled them out for 146.

Final note - 13 year old Ollie Barrow. Remember the name. Left arm seamer, got me through the gate with one he jagged back to take the top of off stump. When batting he only scored 15 but his technique was off the charts. With the right attitude I have no doubt he'll play professionally - the best 13 year old I've played with/against since my old mucker.
Glad I'm not the only one sporting purple after the weekend Jason. Hope yours isn't as sore as mine!