• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why Is Tisdale Not Universally Popular With The Fanbase?

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is it us (some of us!)or him?
He’s given us two promotions, our highest ever league finish, presided over the creation of one the finest youth set ups outside the top two divisions and then resultant unprecedented financial stability.
Why then do I find him arrogant, unlikeable and want him gone?
I’ve thought about this long and hard, and I think it comes down to me being incredibly bored with him.
What are other peoples thoughts?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Tavy I have a mate that stopped coming to SJP purely because Tis wears a suit on the sidelines instead of a tracksuit ! How petty is that ?

Even worse is this guy is a Chelsea fan and yet ok with Jose at the time being the best dressed manager.

Because to some he comes across as arrogant because he isn't jumping up and down like Allardyce etc but he prefers to show opposition managers that he is calm on the outside.

geoffwp

Jeez Dave. Do we really need another of these threads???? It's already discussed to the end of the universe and back on other threads.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very few managers in these days of internet and high exposure of every detail of football are universally popular with their fanbase. I have a Liverpool supporting mate who never stops criticising Klopp, there is a huge group of Barcelona fans who want Valverde out even though Barça are unbeaten so far in the league this season. We haven't had a manager that was universally popular with the fanbase since Terry Cooper and I'm not expecting one soon.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Why does he have to be popular ?

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
From day 1 he wasn’t liked by a lot of people just because he was a nobody PE teacher who came to his interview in jeans. Ironically that’s the only time I remember him wearing jeans.

I remember in his first season he was berated by the big bank for taking Stanno off at home to Kidderminster with chants of “you don’t know what you’re doing”. Imagine if we do go up, but then struggle...He will still get dogs abuse from sections of the fanbase.

DB9

From day 1 he wasn’t liked by a lot of people just because he was a nobody PE teacher who came to his interview in jeans. Ironically that’s the only time I remember him wearing jeans.

I remember in his first season he was berated by the big bank for taking Stanno off at home to Kidderminster with chants of “you don’t know what you’re doing”. Imagine if we do go up, but then struggle...He will still get dogs abuse from sections of the fanbase.
Must admit when he first came here i was one of the"PE Teacher"!! Brigade but in time he showed what he was made of and did the job by getting back into the league and then the bonus of promotion to league 1. As for struggling when in there it was bound to happen especially after finishing 8th, We like so many clubs had to sell the family silver and the ones we got as replacements weren't good enough, To me that was down to lack of money and until we have money in the bank will always happen. After relegation back to league 2 his tactics seem to baffle others, The "Notorious" 2 year rolling contract reared its head, Especially when we had to go cap in hand to the PFA, Dire home form which has affected our home gates (Which at our level is where our main source of income comes from) and his perceived arrogance and siege mentality, Also not being able to take criticism and having "Bust Ups" with fans (Which is never a good thing) has lead us into a situation when we don't even know if he is staying beyond the season whether we go up or not. Tisdale remains a divisive person with the fans who are in two camps

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Why does he have to be popular ?
Good point. His job is to win games.

Red Bill

He isn't universally popular because football is an entertainment business and Tisdale's approach quite often fails to deliver on that level. Also when fans have watched a game where the team have played terribly fans get a little insulted when he comes along afterwards and says how well we've played. He must be given credit for some of the good things the club has achieved, but implying everything good is down to him is clearly untrue, comes across as arrogant and does him no favours. Unfortunately there are sections of the fans who appear to be bigger supporters of him than they are of the club and that polarised opinion further

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I don't think he has helped himself at times with the way he sometimes comes across in interviews. With better PR he could have limited some of the criticism he has had. He isn't your normal type of manager and I don't think he particularly enjoys talking to the press, at times one question can irritate him and lead to sarcasm or one word answers. I appreciate he isn't just going to do whatever fans think he should, but sometimes a little bit of detail instead of implying that anyone critical is automatically wrong.

He certainly has done a lot of good things but I think there is such a split that a fresh manager wouldn't be a bad thing, but He is only likely to go when he decides to. At the end of the day he won't change his personality now, and there will continue to be a split so expect more of the same for however long he stays in the job. He knows that he is much less likely to find another club to give him the security he has had here, and that's why him managing another club would be very risky for him. If he had a bad spell and similar criticism at other clubs he would find it very hard to recover unless he could change in some areas.

While he is manager I still want us to win every game as the club is more important than any individual.