• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ron Crabb RIP

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was saddened to read today of the passing of Exeters own Class One Referee at the age of 87. He refereed back in the 70's and was very proud of the fact he refereed every club in todays Premier League barring Everton. He was a friend and refereeing colleague of mine. The last time I saw him was when we were on the coach together on the way to see the memorable replay between Exeter City and Tottenham.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/april/city-saddened-to-hear-of-ron-crabbs-passing/

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
On the obituary thread already

PeteUSA

On the obituary thread already
Dont you think that once in a while we lose a person who deserves separate mention, instead of having his obituary tagged on to a thread that is not an exeweb official forum? Its an ongoing thread within the Social Club Forum. It was created by Red the Paper, who appears to be serving an indefinite ban. Maybe its just me but I think Ron deserves better recognition than that.

I've never been a fan of the that Obituary thread, since to me its just turned into a race to be first to post a death. It was originally designed by RtP for the purpose of putting announcements on there of deaths not football related i.e. Dale Winton, Bill Maynard, Ken Dodd etc. I think your comment of "its on the obituary thread already" bears out the fact that it seems like theres a race to be first to post it. Ron Crabb deserved better than that for his service to football and his numourous other humanatarian achievements.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
TBH there are probably quite a few people who have passed away that I would say have been as much or more so influential in their life time who didn't get a dedicated thread.

Michael Foot , Margaret Thatcher , Bruce Forsyth , Joe Strummer the list would be endless.

PeteUSA

TBH there are probably quite a few people who have passed away that I would say have been as much or more so influential in their life time who didn't get a dedicated thread.

Michael Foot , Margaret Thatcher , Bruce Forsyth , Joe Strummer the list would be endless.
They would all be Obituary Thread material. To my knowledge they had little or nothing to do with Exeter, Exeter City, or football generally, although Michael Foot got quite famous for being a celebrity Argyle fan.

Alistair20000

They would all be Obituary Thread material. To my knowledge they had little or nothing to do with Exeter, Exeter City, or football generally, although Michael Foot got quite infamous for being a celebrity Argyle fan.
Corrected in the interests of not glamourising the Gargs. Not sure old Footie would appreciate being given the celeb tag.

Last edited: