• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Evans

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is a desperately sad case but how much is being spent on legal fees, to what sensible purpose and should it all be happening this way ?

The parents who seem wholly responsible and decent individuals want to take him to Rome where doctors have offered to treat him. It probably is hopeless but Italy is a civilised country with doctors bound by similar standards to those in the U.K.

Is this not a case where the judges should step aside and let the parents see this through ?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
What possible difference can there be in Italy that aren't better here ? , Children from all over the world come here for the very best of healthcare.

Sorry but in some cases similar to this the parents are maybe not in the best place to decide that enough is enough and not every child is saveable.

Doctors don't take it lightly to end anyone's life by not giving care especially someone so young but when you see the circumstances surrounding his needs he will never have a quality of life that he would actually be able to participate in to any real extent.

Not so much selfish reasons but they are the reasons of a parent looking for any way to cure him which isn't in this age possible.

Alistair20000

What possible difference can there be in Italy that aren't better here ? , Children from all over the world come here for the very best of healthcare.

Sorry but in some cases similar to this the parents are maybe not in the best place to decide that enough is enough and not every child is saveable.

Doctors don't take it lightly to end anyone's life by not giving care especially someone so young but when you see the circumstances surrounding his needs he will never have a quality of life that he would actually be able to participate in to any real extent.

Not so much selfish reasons but they are the reasons of a parent looking for any way to cure him which isn't in this age possible.
My starting point was thank goodness I am not a parent in this tragic situation.

Moving on to a cold light of day analysis, I got to exactly where you have reached. I have no doubt that the poor lad will not receive any better care than he has had here and the correct clinical and legal analysis has been arrived at.

That said though, would there really be any harm if he was allowed to be flown by air ambulance to Italy (apparently the facility to do that is available and paid for) with his parents thus avoiding these costly legal proceedings that serve only to line the pockets of lawyers and must be hugely stressful for the parents. The legal proceedings have gone on for over 2 months now.

manc grecian

There's no right answer if you are in the parents situation. Sadly they have to somehow find the courage to step aside and trust the doctors and judges who have ruled on this. Not sure if I'd ever be courageous enough to get to that point but it's the right thing to do.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Is this the one with the protests outside the hospital with the protesters threatening to burn the hospital down?

manc grecian

In fairness to the parents their protest has been hijacked by some pro life loons. The protests need to stop though as they are affecting the treatment of other children in the hospital.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
That said though, would there really be any harm if he was allowed to be flown by air ambulance to Italy
Having read more of this case there is a strong possibility the child may not even make the trip such are his complications.

You have mail btw Alistair.

Alistair20000

Having read more of this case there is a strong possibility the child may not even make the trip such are his complications.
If that is right then it should not be attempted.

IndoMike

There is no right or wrong decision here. The parents are acting as most parents would - emotionally, and with the vain hope they can save their child. The medical staff and courts are considering the scientific evidence and have decided there is no hope. Who should have the right to decide? I do know one thing, we also have to consider the future state of mind of the parents. If they feel they have done everything in their power to save their child - including sending him to Italy- perhaps they will be able to accept the situation with a greater sense of inner peace if the boy doesn't make it.