• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League Two Team of the Season

Grecian_Matt

Not a single player from Exeter in the team, but probably as expected.

GK | Marek Stech (Luton Town)

RB | Jack Grimmer (Coventry City)

CB | Alan Sheehan (Luton Town)

CB | Mark Hughes (Accrington Stanley)

LB | Dan Potts (Luton Town)

MID | Jorge Grant (Notts County (on loan from Nottingham Forest))

MID | Luke Berry (Luton Town)

MID | Sean McConville (Accrington Stanley)

FWD | Adebayo Akinfenwa (Wycombe Wanderers)

FWD | Billy Kee (Accrington Stanley)

FWD | Danny Hylton (Luton Town)

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Can't argue with most of those - I believe these are voted for at some ridiculously early time (January?), hence you may sometimes see players who (or whose clubs) had a brilliant first half of the season even if they've faltered since.

Number13

Plus we are struggling to pick our POTY so its unlikely anyone would make it from our unfashionable band

Our POTY seems to be between Pym, Taylor and Stockley, none of whom would push their way into that popularity contest

bflockha

don't think they looked to far down the table for the players; be interesting to see them play a team who haven't got any players nominated to see how they get on.

Terryhall

Commented on this on FB when I saw it, I can't see how Akinfenwa made that list ahead of some of the other strikers in the league, even disregarding Stockley, how is Akinfenwa in there ahead of Mo Eisa or Doidge at FGR?

Someone else on FB also questioned how so many Luton players could make the cut as Luton had "bottled the league", which I also have to agree with.

Point taken however that if the votes are taken in Jan that would potentially skew the final result in favour of the prominent players in the first half of the season (but in that case even more unusual that Doidge hasn't made the cut, he was on fire up to January.)

Legohead

Banned
Surely it should be player of the half season? Considering they vote in Jan?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Never really see the point of these especially when the EFL come up with their own version (this is the PFA one, right?).

The EFL team had the Coventry 'keeper in it and was announced the day after they lost 6-2 to Yeovil and he was subbed at half time.

Bittners a Legend

Commented on this on FB when I saw it, I can't see how Akinfenwa made that list ahead of some of the other strikers in the league, even disregarding Stockley, how is Akinfenwa in there ahead of Mo Eisa or Doidge at FGR?

Someone else on FB also questioned how so many Luton players could make the cut as Luton had "bottled the league", which I also have to agree with.

Point taken however that if the votes are taken in Jan that would potentially skew the final result in favour of the prominent players in the first half of the season (but in that case even more unusual that Doidge hasn't made the cut, he was on fire up to January.)
Agree that there have been lots of forwards who have done well in average or below-par teams but Akinfenwa has contributed to 29 goals this season according to the Beeb (17 goals, 12 assists). That is only bettered by Billy Kee (22 goals, 8 assists). He often seems to contribute very little against City though.

STURTZ

Never really see the point of these especially when the EFL come up with their own version (this is the PFA one, right?).

The EFL team had the Coventry 'keeper in it and was announced the day after they lost 6-2 to Yeovil and he was subbed at half time.
What the bloke that couldn't clear his lines repeatedly? Skewed the ball on one occasion and Harley lobbed it in? I'd have him down as the worst keeper I saw this season.

LOG

What the bloke that couldn't clear his lines repeatedly? Skewed the ball on one occasion and Harley lobbed it in? I'd have him down as the worst keeper I saw this season.
That's him. Lee Burge. Coventry have the joint fewest goals conceded which probably got him the gig although based on that performance it's more to do with the defence than him. I have read comments from Coventry fans elsewhere which describe him as a bit of a liability but his position seems to be Tenable (see what i did there?) :)