• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Syria

Angus

So ..... last night yet again I become ashamed in our government. launching over 100 guided missiles into Syria with Russia condemning the attack it looks like we have never ever been closer to ww3. sad times

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
To clarify, I believe the UK fired 8 missiles.

Angus

8 too many Rae but you can't single out who fired what. the truth is both us and America are really playing with fire. it's worrying being a citizen in this lovely country.

IBA

So ..... last night yet again I become ashamed in our government. launching over 100 guided missiles into Syria with Russia condemning the attack it looks like we have never ever been closer to ww3. sad times
Depressing news and ashamed to be British today. it’s the blatant hyprocacy that’s staggering.
so as far as I can tell the logic is, we attack a regime that uses chemical weapons.

Using this argument we would have been justifying in calling for a military attack on the United States when they used chemical weapons on civilians in Vietnam. Incidentialy in the 2000s 500,000 Vietnamese were still suffering the ill effects of the use of napalm etc .

Secondly when Saddam Hussein gassed the Kurds on 16.03.88 killing 5000 people the British Government chose to ignore this as Saddam was seen as more favourable than the Islamic fundamentalists in Iran.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
So do you just stand by as Assad uses chemical weapons Angus ?

Swanaldo

I'd imagine that the correct protocol is to sit round a table at the UN, and proceed accordingly...

Alistair20000

I'd imagine that the correct protocol is to sit round a table at the UN, and proceed accordingly...
Yes but that was tried and failed as it was bound to happen with Russia backing Assad and with its veto to use if required.

The UN is a waste of time in this situation.

Angus

no but it is not our war to fight.

Spoonz Red E

Yes but that was tried and failed as it was bound to happen with Russia backing Assad and with its veto to use if required.

The UN is a waste of time in this situation.
Well unless these missiles have some magic ingredient that their predecessors didn't I'd proffer the idea that the occasional peppering of the enemy du jour with high ordnance has also been tried and failed.

A lot.

IndoMike

8 too many Rae but you can't single out who fired what. the truth is both us and America are really playing with fire. it's worrying being a citizen in this lovely country.
It's even more worrying if we don't stand up to Putin. Chamberlain tried to get pally with Adolf : look how that turned out. The world is not Utopia. There are many bad guys at all levels. We can be idealistic and say how terrible it all is and wring our hands, but the harsh reality is that the good guys have to do bad things to eliminate the bad guys. Hypocritical, maybe, but there are many that risk their lives and do bad things to protect the cosy life of the average Brit so that they can watch City play on Saturday. Get real guys.