• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Uri Geller

Legohead

Banned
What was the story behind the Spoonman? (not the great Soundgarden song but the legendary spoonbender).

His love for Exeter City and was he ever involved in the board or anything? Did anyone meet him and chat etc? Why did he choose Exeter City?

What happened to him too and does he still go to games?

Lots of questions but i'm intrigued as i wasn't a fan back then.

Early Bath

A little snippet from Wikipedia:

"In 1997 he tried to help the Second Division football club Exeter City win a crucial end of season game by placing "energy-infused" crystals behind the goals at Exeter's ground (Exeter lost the game 5–1); he was appointed co-chairman of the club in 2002. The club was relegated to the Football Conference in May 2003, where it remained for five years. He has since severed formal ties with the club."

Last edited:

Terryhall

My three clearest memories were

1. Him promising in the press not to use his psychic powers to influence the results of City games
2. Him wearing an Exeter City shirt on TV in some Z-list celeb reality TV competition (could have been an early "get me out of here"?) - found it and it is more cringeworthy than I remembered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cblv8TrhjJk
3. Think I recall him burying some lucky crystals behind one of the goals to help us score

Can't say with any certainty but I'm pretty sure he was a puppet director brought in by L&R alongside Michael Jackson to try and distract from / lend an air of legitimacy to their shambolic running of the club. I'm not aware of him actually having any actual affection for the club, or being a supporter, but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:

Matt Russell

Wish you hadn't started this thread - I'd managed to "forget" about his involvement!

Early Bath

Did he get involved also because his son (?) was a fan of ECFC ?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Did he get involved also because his son (?) was a fan of ECFC ?
Didn't his son follow City while attending Exeter University ?

LOG

Witches innit - http://www.urigeller.com/witches-cast-exeter-spell-says-geller/

I met him briefly once and all i really remember was that he was wearing a massive pair of sunglasses like he was about to do some welding.

StroudGrecian

Didn't his son follow City while attending Exeter University ?
I thought it was when his son was at Blundells, but I could be wrong.

Exe on Valdez

I thought it was when his son was at Blundells, but I could be wrong.
If he had decided to help Tivvy instead, City would be in the Premiership by now.

Actually, I think it was something to do with his son living in Exeter in a previous life. Its Geller, so the explanation is hardly likely to make sense.

CC

I saw him at an Open Day at StJP back in the day. He seemed pleasant enough and chatted to a group of us. He also bent a spoon which impressed me anyway!