• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Where's the incentive?

Legohead

Banned
Man City are 4/1 to qualify tonight against Liverpool in the CL. In a nutshell they've no chance so surely they should be more 40/1? Who the heck is going to part with any money at 4/1 for a bet that is extremely likely to lose?

Happens a lot this i've noticed. You get teams 2-0 down with about 15 minutes left and the odds are about 50/1 when they should really be 500/1 for the amount of times a team 2-0 down with 15 minutes to go wins.

Legohead

Banned
I meant really to clarify the point that a price or 4/1 doesn't reflect the chances of the event happening (ie Man City qualifying) and it should be much, much bigger.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm no expert but don't the odds simply reflect the amount of money staked rather than actual chances of something happening?

Legohead

Banned
I'm no expert but don't the odds simply reflect the amount of money staked rather than actual chances of something happening?
TBH Stroudy i'm not sure myself but you could be right. I know generally the prices get shorter as more and more money is put on but i would doubt there will be many people out there putting anything significant on a City passage at 4/1. Even 14/1 is pretty dire odds and wouldn't tempt me.

You could be right though.

Bizarre thing is that the world and his wife are taking a City win on the night as a given. Liverpool are well capable of winning on the night and the game could just set it up nicely for them. I'd much rather take the 11/2 about Liverpool to win in 90.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Usual betting night for me. Tipped Liverpool above but decided not to back them and then cash out on an acca for a fiver which came up for just over a hundred quid. Oh well, always another day.

Cracking result in the Roma v Barca game.