• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Local Government Elections - 3rd May 2018

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just a brief reminder that (despite the media storm (and Jason H Tory-boy) that tries to convince us that it's all just about London) one third of our own LOCAL council seats are also up for re-election.

So, perhaps, this thread might be a "LOCAL shop for LOCAL people" to debate LOCAL issues (rather than a depository for London issues, eh Mr H?)

And, whilst I proudly admit to be on the Red end of the political spectrum I'm overly happy to absorb views and opinions from the yellow, blue, or (even) purple end of the argument.

Last edited:

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
In Eastleigh here too the Council is up for re-election, Whilst its totally Lib Dem here i really hope for a change but there is little prospect of that, The local Lib Dems seem to be more about their "Property Portfolio" than issues like social housing, roads and education. Labour are toothless here and the Tories just swipe at the Lib Dems without having an proper answers and as for UKIP, Don't even think they exist any more, So round here nothing will change

Terryhall

Same for my "overseas vote" in my former electoral residency, will be voting in the Labour heartlands of Wakefield MDC (specifically Ackworth, North Elmsall and Upton ward). Usually get my postal vote pack in the mail from the council but very rarely get any info on the candidates (not many of them are doorstepping in Zürich). Hard to see any result beyond a Labour win in that ward, but it's a very different slate of candidates this time around - last time was Labour, UKIP and Conservative (Labour won by 300 votes from UKIP on a 30.2% turnout), this time there's no UKIP so interesting to see where their votes fall. There are 5 candidates in total, I'll be interested to see how the Yorkshire Party get on in particular.

Actually having posted this I'm now questioning whether I do in fact get an overseas vote in the council elections - I think I might not now that I think about it. I'll still pay attention to the result either way.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have locals. I'll be voting, but since this area would vote for Beelzebub if he wore a blue rosette I don't hold out much hope for anything interesting to happen.

We do still have a solitary UKIPer flying the flag though.