Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Penny Drops.

Re: The Penny Drops.

6 Music kept banging on about some singer called 'C16' - I assumed the name was a play on words on C86 - it was months before I realised he was actually called Seasick Steve.

See also: Chase 'n' Status... for ages I thought matey from The Transporter had a record out.

Band Aid

I thought it was called that because it was group of bands raising money to provide aid. I never realised until years later that in the USA a band aid was their name for a plaster so it was also a MASSIVE PUN

Have mentioned this before but it's amazing how many Exeter folk never twigged that the old Walter Wall flooring shop at Livery Dole was a massive pun.

Quote Originally Posted by StroudGrecian View Post
    Never being able to remember which side the car's filler cap was on, it was only last year that my son pointed out the little arrow on everyone's fuel gauge that tells you.
    Urban myth (the arrow, not your son). It's also an urban myth that the side the nozzle's on on the symbol on your dashboard indicates which side the fuel filler's on too.

Oxo cube wrappers

Years ago my old man used to take me to watch Exeter Chiefs (before they became the chiefs) play at the old Country Ground most weeks.

It felt like years before I realized that sections of the crowd weren't shouting "HORLICKS, HORLICKS" at random intervals, but in fact it was "come on Exe". The old bugger's never let me forget that either.

This is literally a 'penny drops'.

It wasn't until Thunderbirds that I realised that Penelope wasn't Penny Lope.

As a little lad watching TV sport, I was puzzled by frequent references to "grom free" when motor racing was on. I did eventually learn that the term was actually "Grand Prix".

Trendy foodstuff Quinoa is pronounced "keen-wah".

No idea what it actually is and that lack of knowledge bothers me not a jot.

My daughter used to steer me towards saying 'falafel', often in front of her friend(s), which invoked mild sniggering.

Though it was the hormones, until I discovered the stress is actually on the second 'a' and not the first, and the penny dropped.

Sturtz' excellent question on the Music Quiz thread has reminded me that I thought Brian Eno was Bono's real name for years.