• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Penny Drops.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
What seemingly-obvious things did you not cotton onto until later life?

For example:

It took me a long time to realise that the written word 'Ascertain' was the same word I had been hearing and using, pronounced 'assatain'.

I must have read two or three novels by David Mitchell before realising that he wasn't the guy from Peep Show.

For decades I thought the War of the Worlds soundtrack was by the guy from ELO. (Jeff Lynne/Jeff Wayne - two completely different people)

Didn't get the 'Deep Thought' gag* from Hitchhikers for a long time.

As a child, I thought that when you sent in, say, 10 Monster Munch packets to get a free badge, that they'd wash out the packets and use them again. :D

So, 'fess up fellow Exewebbers.

*no pun intended.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was years before it clicked that the girls name pronounced Chi-vohn was actually spelt Siobhan.

Sidey's back

It wasn't until my late teens that I finally realised the Elgin Marbles were not small, round and made of glass. I did always wonder what the fuss was all about.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Connecting Axel F (the theme tune to Beverley Hills Cop) by Harald Faultimier to Alex Foley (lead character played by Eddie Murphy in Beverley Hills Cop).

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Sue Lawley isn't a song title from The Police !

contrabombarde

When ordering a magazine online the girl on the phone asked if I just wanted 10 issues, I'll never know why but I thought she said "Do you just want tennis shoes?" The most bizzare conversation followed until the penny dropped.

contrabombarde

It was also years before I realised that Ceilidh was pronounced "kayli"

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
That Irish spelling will get you every time. Sile = Sheila.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It was also years before I realised that Ceilidh was pronounced "kayli"
Irish for salad?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you notice your missus behaving more oddly than usual and you thoughtfully enquire if everything is all right and she answers "Yes", there's an outside chance that she may be being liberal with the truth.

Took me far too long before this particular penny dropped.