Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Agents fees 2017/18

Re: Agents fees 2017/18

Quote Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
    Interesting that all 92 clubs paid some fees.

I do wonder what value these agents provide to players in the lower leagues. They seem to extract large amount of cash for themselves, that could/should be spent on better things.
    If you don't have an agent I presume that you have to do any negotiating yourself. Quite a stressful thought if you have no experience, and you could easily end up signing a contract without getting the best deal or being caught out with some technical aspect that hadn't been considered.

Agents protect the players interests and whether lower league or Prem league this still is important.

My inferences are here that the fees will have been "retainer" type efforts that will repel interest from other clubs, i.e. "Bung me 10 grand and I'll make sure Club X don't sign him instead", otherwise agent fees will be paid directly by the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    My inferences are here that the fees will have been "retainer" type efforts that will repel interest from other clubs, i.e. "Bung me 10 grand and I'll make sure Club X don't sign him instead", otherwise agent fees will be paid directly by the player.
    Theoretically an agent should always act in the interest of the player alone, and certainly not accept bungs to persuade a player to stay at a club.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Theoretically an agent should always act in the interest of the player alone, and certainly not accept bungs to persuade a player to stay at a club.
    Theoretically, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Theoretically, yes.
    Would Pogba have signed for Man U if his agent hadn't got the reported 20m in the deal?