• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Question of the day.

Good afternoon exewebbers. I need your help please.

Whilst enjoying a quiet third at The Prince Of Wales, Holcombe Rogus, last evening with my old pal, Ernie Tucker, the conversation inevitably turned to refrigerators. I say inevitably as Ernie spent most of his working life servicing white goods and often enjoys telling stories of times past like when he was called to a local job only to find it was to replace the evaporator coil on Noel Edmonds’ 15 year old Zanussi.

Things started to get a little out of hand after our second round of Bishop Nick's Ridley's Rite on an empty stomach. I was telling Ernie that I’d received an electronic mail from my energy supplier with helpful tips on how to save on my bill, one of which was to adjust the temperature setting on your refrigerator. The disagreement then arose over whether if you make your refrigerator colder, you were turning it up or down? I said up, my reasoning being that it was a device designed to chill so by turning it up, you were increasing the chill but he was having none of it.

If you can let me have your thoughts please I will pass these on to Ernie as we agreed that whatever our own feelings, it would be more democratic to let exeweb decide.

All the best.

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I blame the pub. Last time I was in there I hadn't got a feckin clue about anything for some time afterwards.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
The numbers on the dial get bigger and you will be using more power, so you are turning it up.

Antony Moxey

Tricky question. Are you turning it (the fridge) up, or turning the temperature up? If you turn the fridge up does that turn the temperature down? Is a freezer compartment involved, and does that have a seperate temperature adjuster? Sound like it's the ale talking to me rather than a sensible discussion.

Alistair20000

Joyce has all the answers. ;)

Grecian2K

Actually I'd suggest that it is a bit of both....a "cool" kind of quantum physics (or "Shroedinger's Cat") that both states can exist simultaneously depending on the viewpoint of the observers.

The more "cold" that the system can provide inside the device the more residual heat that is extracted from the refrigerator via the evaporator coil or grid (the "ying" to the "yang" of the condenser unit that initially provides the cooling effect).

As any hapless bar person who, having to work in from of the "cooling" units has to sometimes endure almost nuclear heat being extracted out into the usually restricted bar space by said machines

So, to summarise:
INSIDE the device you are turning the heat down
OUTSIDE you are simultaneously turning it up....hence the need for all of that hefty insulation between your frozen goods and the real world to keep all that "lovely Iceland and Aldi" gear fresh and edible.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

James or William??? ;) (Haw Haw Haw)

Spoonz Red E

As the act of turning is rotational - up and down in equal measure.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Yootha has been dead for years she wont know.

Alistair20000

And Joyce Grenfell.