• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale "The whole thing has been hurtful"

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: "The whole thing has been hurtful"

When I started watching ECFC we were a league one club (Alan Ball was the manager).

We are now a league 2 club and Tisdale has been manager for an absolute age.

Has any other manager lost more matches whilst leading ECFC ??

Stats can be great however it depends how you use them.

Tisdale's period as manager of ECFC has been mediocre imho.
Fair do's we are all entitled to our opinions. I started watching in the late 70's and Cooper put the best individual side together but things didn't exactly go swimmingly for him (or us) after that. Godfrey had a decent team as well, and maybe unfairly got the push. Tis came here when we were in the conference and proper down in the dumps, and he has got us promoted a couple of times and got us to our highest league position as well. We also got to Wembley last year after a terrible start and will probably end well this season. Not bad and for you it may be mediocre, but I'm not seeing you name anybody who has been more successful ?.....liked Alan Ball mind, enjoyed watching his team and loved his personality, but not sure that counts as success

Pete Martin (CTID)

I'm not sticking up for him but you're missing the big chunk between Ball and Tiz. You can use statistics but it seems that you can also re-write history to forget about us being relegated out of the league and being within an inch of extinction.. I started watching in the early-mid 80's and would say that the last 10 years have been the most stable for the club in my time. Saying that, I'm beginning to believe that is more because of the ownership model than the manager....
.....is the right answer.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'm not sticking up for him but you're missing the big chunk between Ball and Tiz. You can use statistics but it seems that you can also re-write history to forget about us being relegated out of the league and being within an inch of extinction.. I started watching in the early-mid 80's and would say that the last 10 years have been the most stable for the club in my time. Saying that, I'm beginning to believe that is more because of the ownership model than the manager....
The point I was making is we have achieved some kind of miracle since Tisdale has been here, we are still a league two club which is what we have been during most of my time watching ECFC, approximately 25 years, to me our achievements under Tisdale don't warrant the kind of garbage that regularly gets spouted by the likes of him, his cronies and some of his biggest supporters.

He's an average league two manager.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

Tis came here when we were in the conference and proper down in the dumps
I'd say he came in at a decent time, the club was being rebuilt and was financially far more stable than it had been for years, he came in when we were well set for an upturn.

I’m neither a rose tinter nor a Tisdale apologist but I don’t agree with all of the opprobrium that is being heaped on this.

While the whole thing is clearly a giant online job interview – both a ‘come and get me’ to teams at a higher level with a more ‘continental’ structure and an indication to ECFC that negotiations work both ways – I don’t blame him for that; he is in a precarious industry with little job security (in general) and wants to secure the next few years of his still considerable working life.

I’m interested that it shows a hitherto unseen side – a hint that actually he would like the club to show a bit more ambition, that he could achieve more with a bit more backing and general savvy on the part of those pulling the (purse) strings. He is clearly not without ambition and feels that he is capable of achieving things whether that is within football or outside it. He is also clearly not without a human side although one could justly argue that criticism is part and parcel of a well paid role.

I’m sure we’ll hear the usual comments about ECFC being bigger than him, that we’ve stagnated on the field, and so on – and while I have sympathy with some this – the club will still be here long after the Tisdale era is a memory, and we did go through too long a period where we were utter toilet, particularly at home – is it really true to say that we haven’t progressed, given that we’re (again) challenging for promotion when most of my life has been spent with us struggling in Division Four and lower?

So be careful what you wish for, people - we could just as easily revert to the old style Appleton/Cooper Mk 2/Fox/Blake/Cornforth/McNab axis that symbolises the dull underachievement of the club over so many years.

Maybe it is time for the club to ponder on where they want to be as much as it is for Tisdale.

Avening Posse

I'd say he came in at a decent time, the club was being rebuilt and was financially far more stable than it had been for years, he came in when we were well set for an upturn.
Maybe, not sure it matters much now, I still think he will go at the end of the season, and you will therefore hopefully get what you want (meaning someone better and not some other mediocre manager, but the decision will not be down to me or you :))

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

I’m neither a rose tinter nor a Tisdale apologist but I don’t agree with all of the opprobrium that is being heaped on this.

While the whole thing is clearly a giant online job interview – both a ‘come and get me’ to teams at a higher level with a more ‘continental’ structure and an indication to ECFC that negotiations work both ways – I don’t blame him for that; he is in a precarious industry with little job security (in general) and wants to secure the next few years of his still considerable working life.

I’m interested that it shows a hitherto unseen side – a hint that actually he would like the club to show a bit more ambition, that he could achieve more with a bit more backing and general savvy on the part of those pulling the (purse) strings. He is clearly not without ambition and feels that he is capable of achieving things whether that is within football or outside it. He is also clearly not without a human side although one could justly argue that criticism is part and parcel of a well paid role.

I’m sure we’ll hear the usual comments about ECFC being bigger than him, that we’ve stagnated on the field, and so on – and while I have sympathy with some this – the club will still be here long after the Tisdale era is a memory, and we did go through too long a period where we were utter toilet, particularly at home – is it really true to say that we haven’t progressed, given that we’re (again) challenging for promotion when most of my life has been spent with us struggling in Division Four and lower?

So be careful what you wish for, people - we could just as easily revert to the old style Appleton/Cooper Mk 2/Fox/Blake/Cornforth/McNab axis that symbolises the dull underachievement of the club over so many years.

Maybe it is time for the club to ponder on where they want to be as much as it is for Tisdale.
If he leaves at the end of the season (which I doubt he will) I don't see him managing anyone else next season.

Temporarily Exiled

Cry me a river. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but he's making no friends among Exeter supporters here. At this point I'm not sure I want him to stay regardless of results, if this is what he thinks of us fans. Utterly contemptuous, and offended when we serve him notice on a rolling contract less than 12 months after needing a PFA loan to stay afloat, after 7 months without a win at home, and dwindling attendances. What a joke.

The question now is who do we get in to replace him?

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Indeed...Especially the last paragraph.

All the seasons I have been watching,47 now.With the exception of a few seasons with Brian Godfrey in Division 3(L1) all the other seasons at that level have been a struggle.

Certainly,be careful what you wish for folks..Personally I like the ethos he has created around the club,but can understand that is not enough for some fans(I mean the ones who watch week in week out in the flesh !)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Indeed...Especially the last paragraph.

All the seasons I have been watching,47 now.With the exception of a few seasons with Brian Godfrey in Division 3(L1) all the other seasons at that level have been a struggle.

Certainly,be careful what you wish for folks..Personally I like the ethos he has created around the club,but can understand that is not enough for some fans(I mean the ones who watch week in week out in the flesh !)
The problem I have is that, in this 'interview', he bemoans the lack of ambition (as he perceives it), the lack of money and the constant 'struggle' to balance the books.

What he doesn't talk about however is the frequent failure to provide entertainment that will encourage supporters to keep coming back in numbers and the failure to build on attendances. Our bedrock supporters keep coming back regardless of the form or performances because they are as dedicated to this club as he is. I get frustrated that he doesn't seem to get that. It is all about him.

Our average attendances during the past 12 years have barely altered (apart from a predictable spike when we were in League One). Maybe there would have been an opportunity to get the waverers back and attract new support if we hadn't gone through season after season of abject home form. Quite a few have been lost who may never return. That is one thing the supporters and the Trust cannot be blamed for.