• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scams

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone else getting sick and tired of emails. Txts. Phone calls trying to scam money out of you? In the last few weeks I've had Paypal (Never used them) Talktalk (Not with them any more) Santander (Never held an account with them) Amazon (Via some Irish email address) HMRC, The list is endless. Now i would never give out or send my details to people who ask but are these scammers getting more brazen? As some of there emails do look convincing and if you're not savvy with these things you could get caught out

Oldsmobile-88

When I had a land line I took a call from someone who represented a company(so he said) buying & speculating on land prices..He gave me the usual chat & I interrupted him after about 15 secs & said I was not interested & certainly would not conduct business on the phone,he got right shi55y,& said I was daft..fkcu you cntu was my repost.Made me feel better :D

I was watching Watchdog or a similar consumer programme a year later when this company came up on the screen.The amount of people who had handed over large sums was astounding..It was all a scam of course.

No idea how they got my number.It did not appear to be a random call..

LOG

I had one from "PayPal" the other day which had two spelling mistakes and part of it was written in a very odd way. I quite often get ones from "Amazon" as well telling me my delivery has been delayed which isn't a surprise as i've never bought anything from them.

These emails are sent out in such vast quantities though that it only needs a very small percentage of people to fall for it to make them worth the scammer's while. I do worry about someone like me mum though. She's no fool but is one of those people who if a message pops up on her laptop telling her to click Yes, Ok, or whatever she normally does it without question.

iscalad

I've had this a few times

Notification of service disconnection.

Your service is scheduled for disconnection on 19 March 2018.

We were unable to process your last payment, that attempt was unsuccessful. Common reasons that payments do not process are:

- having no payment method on file,

- an expired credit card on file,

- the charge was declined by your credit card issuer.

Please make a one-time payment by credit card, for the amount owed, immediately or before 19 March 2018.

To prevent this problem from re-occurring, please provide a valid payment method for future payments.

Sign into your Virgin Media account below to keep your details up to date.

Never clicked the link, never been cut off.

Had the PayPal one as well.

Most worrying was on from "HMRC" saying I was owed £666. Luckily it went into my trash folder, as I was expecting a refund. I contacted HMRC by phone, they confirmed the scam.

Avening Posse

We get our phone and internet connection through a company called Telstra. We are persistently called by an overseas number by a chap who is insistent we have a fault on our modem. He claims to be a technical guy from Telstra, and tells us if we don"t get him to rectify it we are vulnerable to internet crime etc. He actually sounds pretty plausible and always says to fix it he needs access to our laptop etc....we always say no. This does not stop him calling again a couple of weeks later though.....all rather boring but I guess this happens all the time everywhere

Alistair20000

I quite often get ones from "Amazon" as well telling me my delivery has been delayed which isn't a surprise as i've never bought anything from them.
That was one I sent on your behalf: a new merkin to replace the one Sidey sent to me in error.

IndoMike

i had 10 million rupiahs (600 pound sterling) taken from my bank account last week. I went to the ATM (cash point) last Saturday at 11 a.m, put my card in the slot, and that seems to somehow have automatically triggered the disappearance of my money. I pressed a button to withdraw the money and a message appeared on the screen saying I had already exceeded my daily limit, even though I hadn't yet taken any money. My wife and I went straight to one of the main branches to report this, change the debit card and change the password number. We are awaiting news without much hope. There are many cases like this in Indonesia. The good thing is that there is CCTV (if working) which can prove I didn't take any cash. But whether the bank will make any effort to find out what really happened I doubt and have mentally written off the money. It's not life or death but it's bloody annoying and makes you feel uncomfortable. However, just 2 days later there was an interview with Noel Edmonds on the BBC website and I realized my case was trivial compared to his.
i was wondering if anything like my case can happen in England.?
Cheers.

Last edited:

Angus

I receive a awefull amount of phone calls. probably because in the past when at university I did online surveys for some extra beer tokens
I've been pondering about purchasing a number that will charge a couple of quid a min to try an make some money from these calls.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The wife had the chap from Microsoft ring up earlier this week. She said to the chap, nothing doing and put the phone down. He then phoned her back and was rude to her. She uncharacteristically swore at the guy and hung up again!

The previous week we had BT phone us up saying we had a problem with our BT router. I was pushed for time, so explained to the chap that was very clever of them, especially as we're not with BT. I wish I has strung him along!

Angus

always string them along Hants. I go all the way. often I say I'm interested just hold on. and put my phone to the side, every couple of mins I'll speak and say hang on two seconds. I do it to see who holds on the longest.