• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carragher spitting incident

Legohead

Banned
Jamie Carragher has just been suspended by Sky Sports for the now infamous spitting incident after the Man U v Liverpool game at the weekend.

Ordinarily i'd be panning Carragher for this but when i read into the lead up to the incident i mellowed a little.

Yes what Carragher did was totally unacceptable given the circumstances, even if he wasn't a figure in the public eye it would still remain so. I would hope that would be a widespread view. However, this is another example that highlights the obsession that many people have nowadays with filming anything and everything on their mobile phones.

According to the report, the man involved in the incident who was driving the other car in traffic alongside Carragher spent many minutes leading up to the incident filming Carragher and passing comment. All Carragher was doing was minding his own business and then he gets some grinning buffoon alongside him filming him and shouting comments. I'd have found that intrusive and annoying too to be honest. Have these morons got nothing better to do than whip their phones out every few seconds to film banal crap? Not to mention he was using a mobile phone at the wheel.

IMO Carragher should be sacked. He has apologized and acknowledged that his behaviour was completely unacceptable however i also think the ****** in the other car should get the appropriate punishment for using his phone at the wheel and go on an awareness course of how not to be a ****. I mean what an example to set to your 14 year old daughter who was sat alongside him. Goading a stranger and filming it. What is tech turning us into?

This on the back of the game 5 minutes from my house between Chesterfield and Lincoln at the weekend. As many of you will probably be aware, an air ambulance had to be called to the Proact Stadium due to a fan being taken seriously ill. The helicopter had to land in the middle of the pitch and there were many reports from people i know who go and also on their forum of a lot of fans recording the man receiving life saving treatment. Does anyone know the boundaries of respect and privacy anymore?

Anyway the Carragher incident. Storm in a teacup i guess but it does highlight a more sinister sign of changes in behaviour induced by having the ability to film things in an instant.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jamie Carragher has just been suspended by Sky Sports for the now infamous spitting incident after the Man U v Liverpool game at the weekend.

Ordinarily i'd be panning Carragher for this but when i read into the lead up to the incident i mellowed a little.

Yes what Carragher did was totally unacceptable given the circumstances, even if he wasn't a figure in the public eye it would still remain so. I would hope that would be a widespread view. However, this is another example that highlights the obsession that many people have nowadays with filming anything and everything on their mobile phones.

According to the report, the man involved in the incident who was driving the other car in traffic alongside Carragher spent many minutes leading up to the incident filming Carragher and passing comment. All Carragher was doing was minding his own business and then he gets some grinning buffoon alongside him filming him and shouting comments. I'd have found that intrusive and annoying too to be honest. Have these morons got nothing better to do than whip their phones out every few seconds to film banal crap? Not to mention he was using a mobile phone at the wheel.

IMO Carragher should be sacked. He has apologized and acknowledged that his behaviour was completely unacceptable however i also think the ****** in the other car should get the appropriate punishment for using his phone at the wheel and go on an awareness course of how not to be a ****. I mean what an example to set to your 14 year old daughter who was sat alongside him. Goading a stranger and filming it. What is tech turning us into?

This on the back of the game 5 minutes from my house between Chesterfield and Lincoln at the weekend. As many of you will probably be aware, an air ambulance had to be called to the Proact Stadium due to a fan being taken seriously ill. The helicopter had to land in the middle of the pitch and there were many reports from people i know who go and also on their forum of a lot of fans recording the man receiving life saving treatment. Does anyone know the boundaries of respect and privacy anymore?

Anyway the Carragher incident. Storm in a teacup i guess but it does highlight a more sinister sign of changes in behaviour induced by having the ability to film things in an instant.
Just to be clear: did you leave a "not" out in connection with sacking JC ?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Always the way tbh now they wind someone up then when they get the reaction from the person they make sure they go bleating to anyone who will listen !

If Carragher was the person who started the argument (which he wasn't) then he is being a tool and should be reprimanded (not sacked) as he is in the public eye and would like to think over the years he has had enough abuse from the terraces to rise above some ***** while in traffic.

The twonk that started the argument is probably a Man U fan and thought of Carragher as an easy target and wouldn't react, well he should be done for driving without due care and attention at the very least.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Sorry Alistair2000. Yes i DO think that he should be sacked as although i have loads of sympathy for Jamie and a load more respect for him than the idiot who instigated all this, i do think that he has a responsibility to his employers to conduct himself in an appropriate manner and he crossed the line. You cannot be a public figure and go around spitting at people just because you are getting wound up by some ******.

It's a mess but Sky have to set an example and that means to drop Carragher. Actions have consequences and i would like to think that applies to the driver of the other car also.

LOG

Isn't this what the word "banter" was invented for? Everyone is allowed to act like a ***** but it's ok because it's only bantz :mad:

geoffwp

Seems that you really can't take the chav out of the footballer.

Alistair20000

Sorry Alistair2000. Yes i DO think that he should be sacked as although i have loads of sympathy for Jamie and a load more respect for him than the idiot who instigated all this, i do think that he has a responsibility to his employers to conduct himself in an appropriate manner and he crossed the line. You cannot be a public figure and go around spitting at people just because you are getting wound up by some ******.

It's a mess but Sky have to set an example and that means to drop Carragher. Actions have consequences and i would like to think that applies to the driver of the other car also.
Thanks for the clarification. (y)

PeteUSA

I dont see how any blame for this can be levelled at the other driver. Other than filming Carragher while trying to drive a car (which is surely illegal?) I didnt think what he said was in any way provocation to lead to the filthy spit that hit his daughter in the side of the face. I'm assuming the other driver caught Carragher while he was drinking something judging by the volume of spit that came back. Either way I think JC's tv career is over. There's no way he can be reinstated after a ban following a disgraceful filthy incident like that.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
None of us known how much provocation went on prior to the 10 second clip shown.

I've been on that same bit of road after an England game and you can sit side by side with players having a chat in cars.

PeteUSA

None of us known how much provocation went on prior to the 10 second clip shown.
I agree. Its said that this was a series of exchanges and JC did what he did after the third incident. Unfortunately for JC only the spitting incident was reported. It would be interesting if the father filmed the earlier altercations as well, but I suspect if he did they were quickly deleted. I just saw the Carragher interview on Sky News, and he seemed near to tears. I suspect the thought of probably losing a million pound a year job was quite a factor.