• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Final third thoughts

Angus

This season is a proper nail biter for me.

Ten games to go with a healthy three games in hand from other teams above us. Myself, personally I don't look at a game in hand as a game won until the final whistle has been blown.

So 6 points from the bottom automatic position, 10 points from 2nd but yet only 4 points from 10th position. So a couple of wins are vital.

I personally think automatics are vital. Chuck every thing in the ring at the latter stages and maybe risk our play offs. I'm not confident about play offs any more and with such good teams around us it's a worrying thought to add another possible 3 games on top of what's going to be a hectic final push for promotion.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Concur. Play offs are all about on the day (s) and anything can happen. We have the players this year, we should take risks and just go for it. It's always a poor division pretty much every year, I don't think I'm being controversial by saying our team this year isn't a patch on other sides we've had when promoted from basement to one up, but we are up there anyway. If it were me I would throw caution to the wind in the run in and just go for the prize which has to be the auto's. Couldn't give too f___s how much Money is made by playing at Wembley

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
We won't make top 3.

We will make the playoffs but can't see us out-scoring many sides over 180 mins

Avening Posse

We won't make top 3.

You are probably right Credy, but our points mean there is a chance, so may as well go balls out with attacking football and see what happens. I agree 180 + 90 against the likes of the Coventry's and the Lincoln's leaves too much chance on the day, Man City we are not !

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The difference with the sides around us and above us is they have 3-4 likely goal scorers who do it more consistently - take Stockley out and our top scorer is our right back in Sweeney with 6 goals (4-5 from the spot?)

All the sides above us have at least 2 players some have 3-4 who have 10+ goals and that's the reason why IMO City will fall short

Last edited:

Temporarily Exiled

Far less optimistic with JMT out. We don't score many, so we really need to be able to keep things tight at the back. That said, Pym's been in fine form, and Storey has looked really promising when he's played – so not all hope is lost. We also have Brunt to come back, and if he can play for the final third of the season, he could make a really big contribution.

Yeovil will be a big test. They've been a bogey team for us in recent seasons. Now is the time to put an end to it.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Far less optimistic with JMT out. We don't score many, so we really need to be able to keep things tight at the back.
It will be a frigging disaster if JMT is out for any length of time..He has been excellent again this season & without him we will struggle at the back.

Topsham Boy

We won't make top 3.

Play offs are IMO where we will end up. I agree with others on WOWS that we simply do not have enough firepower to make the autos. Stockley is a good strong striker and delivering for us, but we need others to be supporting and chipping in goals...is this the time to try Jay, bring back Macca, or get Brunt into the action? We need to be much more adventurous into the sharp end of the season as the hoofball we are playing at present is just not going to do it. On the plus side, pitches will improve from now on.......Mr T. should be happier on that front at least.
We should never have lost at Wembley in the play off final to Blackpool and I wouldn't want to go through that again...we were much too cautious second half after we got back to 1-1, even with Wheeler and Watkins on the pitch. Blackpool were nothing special on the day. My concern this time is that our ever cautious manager will continue to be inflexible in his approach and we won't even make the final.

On a separate note, attendances are worrying. I would suggest the style of football on offer and our lack of ground facilities, plus the fact of having the best Rugby Union team in the country with excellent facilities across the same city is an issue...the Chiefs now pulling in over 12000 every home game. Exeter as a city is growing rapidly in population.....given our league position, our attendance should now be c5000 regularly, not sub 4000 on occasions.

robchave

On a separate note, attendances are worrying. I would suggest the style of football on offer and our lack of ground facilities, plus the fact of having the best Rugby Union team in the country with excellent facilities across the same city is an issue...the Chiefs now pulling in over 12000 every home game. Exeter as a city is growing rapidly in population.....given our league position, our attendance should now be c5000 regularly, not sub 4000 on occasions.
Whilst football is 'a results based business', it is also meant to be entertainment. We are not, currently, even trying to play entertaining football. One up-front hoof-ball is dire stuff to watch, even if we are managing to win most of our home games. If we want to get people through the turnstiles, these days, both results and entertainment are required.

Oldsmobile-88

Whilst football is 'a results based business', it is also meant to be entertainment. We are not, currently, even trying to play entertaining football. One up-front hoof-ball is dire stuff to watch, even if we are managing to win most of our home games. If we want to get people through the turnstiles, these days, both results and entertainment are required.
Yep..A few people I used to go to SJP with,who went to every home game until the last couple of seasons just pick & choose certain games now..The best part of the match day for me is usually between 1200-1430 down at St Anne’s Well pub.

3,300 home fans when we are 6th in the table & in with a good shout of auto promotion,says it all really..

Last edited: