• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is there going to be a cull?

Ash

Would agree most of the above but with the possible exceptions of:

Harley and Holmes:

Keep both Harley and Holmes because, whilst at times they can both be frustrating, they are still more than capable of making match winning contributions and should we be promoted are probably more suited to playing League One Football.

If we fail to get promoted I feel it is unlikely that Holmes will stay but even if he does it may necessary to have a rethink and replace both of them with two players more suited to the physicality of League Two.

TAH and Simpson:

I would also keep both TAH and Simpson although if promoted might have a rethink on both. In the case of TAH on the basis that he is probably on fairly low weekly pay and he can still provide reasonable short term cover in the case of injury to Brown or JMT.

Robbie Simpson has probably rightfully been criticised for failure to put the ball in the back of the net. However as with Jayden he works hard and is prepared to put the effort in both penalty areas and was starting to look worth his place towards the end of last season before his injury and is capable of making a positive contribution to the team.

Effect next season playing in League One or League Two:

A lot is going to depend on which division we are in next season If we do fail to get promoted then I think that both JMT and Pym may well want to look at their options.

If we do get promoted we will get a larger share of the TV monies and as we do have some cash to spare ought to be able to attract some new faces up to the standard needed to meet the challenges of League One.

Who knows during the close season we may even be able to get our hands on some of Chelsea’s monies !!?
Please God don't keep Simpson! He's absolute gash and his career scoring record backs this up!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The biggest question is will we still have Tisdale. His contract is up in a few months if I remember correctly

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
All depends on what division we're in

If league 1 id keep

Stockley
Troy Brown
JMT
Sweeney
Pym (he's going hence why Jones is here)
Jake Taylor
Moxey
Boateng
Holmes

If league 2

The above plus

Tillson
McAlinden

IndoMike

We have to be more pragmatic when it comes to releasing players. Loyalty should not be an issue. It's a two-way street. Players leave us if they can get a better deal and we should release them if they're not up to it. If we get promoted, hard-working players with not much ability or too old will not be enough. Players who have one great game every 5 games will not be enough. Players who are always injured will not be enough.
James - not good enough for Div 1
Seaborne - too old and not good enough any more
Moxey - if he has a 3-year contract the question is why? SIgned for sentimental reasons?
Harley - produces little. Where are the brilliant goals? Should play further upfield. Doesn't do enough on a regular basis. We can't afford to live in the past.
Simpson - honest, hard-working player but not enough ability
TAH - high risk he will miss many games due to injury, and we have centre-back cover.
Mac - never given a run so what's the point
Matt Jay - never given a run

So, we keep
Pym (if poss)
Jones
Wilson (if poss)
Sweeney (just)
Tilson (just)
Brown
JMT
Storey
Croll
Moxey (if obliged) or Woodman
Holmes
Taylor
Boateng
Stockley
Brunt (last chance saloon)
Sparkes
+ youngsters who have very good potential.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

The biggest question is will we still have Tisdale. His contract is up in a few months if I remember correctly
I'm heartened by the fact that apparently nothings been done about finalising Tisdales new contract. I got the impression many months ago that Tagg would have liked to sort his new deal out quickly, but failed to do so for some reason. I'm assuming, possibly incorrectly that PT was offered a new deal but didnt care for it. As I've said before, we're holding the aces as far as his new deal is concerned. We're in no rush, and I'm sure theres no other club waiting in the wings to give him the type of contract he had with us for far too long! He might not like it, but PT should wait until this seasons ends, and we see what league we wind up in. I suspect that theres something about the man where he might leave football altogether if he doesnt get what he thinks he's worth. That wouldnt surprise me at all. It also wouldnt bother me.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pete thanks for the input but hopefully this thread is not going to turn into another Tisdale contract thread.

My main concern when starting it is that apart from three or four teams in this division (Luton Wycombe Mansfield etc) I see it as a very poor league particularly as we are still up there and challenging when we haven't been playing our best football or even had our best defence, and if we are to remain in it next season I can't see any reason that the teams in the division will improve, and we really must be looking to get out of it asap.

That said if we fail to get promoted this season for the second successive year, then there needs to be changes. There will also need to be changes should we go up. Some players are in a comfort zone at the club, due possibly to the 'loyalty' factor. It was once said to me that if you want loyalty get a dog. So I believe regardless of who is in charge that to maintain our status and possibly even challenge for a second promotion (heaven forbid - ambition) or challenge for a third successive attempt in division four that there will need to be changes and we need to be thinking about it now and sending out feelers through agents or contacts so that we are well positioned in the close season for early signings.

It would also be nice as the season peters out, to see some of the youngsters (Alex Byrne Matt Jay Jordan Storey etc) that have come through have a bit more game time so that we as fans can see what potential there is.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
if we make league 1 the players I would keep are (unsure of contractual agreements)

Pym, Sweeney, Brown, JMT, Moxey, Harley, Tilson, Boetang, Holmes, Stockley, Storey, Taylor, + Youngsters breaking through (doesn't include Jay as he needs to be released asap)

tonykellowfan

Lee Holmes is only 30.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lee Holmes is only 30.
So is Lloyd James. Moxey is 32. Harley is 33. Woodman is 35. Age is relevant but not the most important reason we should retain or release a player.

Kevin Ellison is 39 but if he wanted to come down to Devon I'd give him a one year contract like a shot.

Alistair20000

What about Jamie Cureton JW ;)

I would like nearly 36 Ade Akinfenwa on a 2 year deal.