• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is there going to be a cull?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
As the season moves into the final quarter and all appears up for grabs, with the potential of playoffs or even automatic promotion a possibility, I question whether the squad we currently have is strong enough to challenge in league one or heaven forbid should we fall short again will it be strong enough with a few tweaks to actually maintain a successful promtion campaign, and regrettably in both instances I fear it is not.

Should we be promoted it will need to be severely strengthened, almost on a Mansfield scale this season, as some of the players are struggling to maintain consistent fourth division football let alone third division! Likewise as Pete has pointed out on another thread I also feel the first team is weaker this year than last with the loss of Watkins Wheeler and Reid, as well as being supported by three loan players (Loft hasn't really contributed yet so I haven't included him) who will return to their parent club at the end of the season. So whatever the final outcome I believe that we should be having a major clearout.

Squad
Goalkeepers
Pym - Keep
Hamon - Release
Jones - Sign permanently

Defenders
Pierce Sweeney - Keep
Craig Woodman - Release
Troy Brown - Keep
Jordan Moore Taylor - Keep
Dean Moxey - Keep (long term contract)
Troy Archibald Henville - Release
Dan Seaborne - Release
Luke Croll - Keep (Contracted ?)
Jordan Storey - Keep
Alex Hartridge - Keep

Midfielders
Lloyd James - Release
Jordan Tilson - Release
Ryan Harley - Release
Lee Holmes - Release
Alex Byrne - Keep
Jake Taylor - Keep
Joel Randall - Academy Product
Archie Collins - Academy product
Harry Kite - Academy Product
Jack Sparkes - Academy Product
Max Smallcombe - Academy Product
Will Dean - Academy Product
Hiram Boateng - Keep

Forwards
Robbie Simpson - Release
Jayden Stockley - Keep
Ryan Brunt -Keep
Liam McAlinden - Release
Matt Jay - Keep
Ben Seymour - Academy Product

So from the current squad I would release 10, with the two West Brom players retruning making twelve to go and possibly more if some of the Academy products aren't progressing, so I do hope that Mr Tisdale is more successful at the end of the season with his contacts and signings than he was in the January window, particularly as the summer window will be closing earlier this year!

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t think Tisdale would ever cull a squad. He’s very loyal to his players and while some will go I’d wager we’d see the majority being offered new deals, even if we went up.

I do agree that we will definitely need to strengthen massively if we did get promoted. Also I do think certain players may well be out of our hands such as Pym and JMT if they’re out of contract, we will find it difficult to keep them.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pym is under contract for a few years.
TAH is excellent cover at the back & has proved his worth this season covering for Brown & JMT

A lot will depend if Tisdale decides to stay.He could do a Terry Cooper,sign a load of crocks & then leave :D

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not much hope for next season then? I do agree we are in the hands of the gods (moneygods) with regards to the likes of Pym Stockley and JMT.

I hope he is already planning for next season already as we are bereft of known talent in Midfield (the nippers may be good but we never really see them, with him relying on his old guard) and up front and you don't win matches without scoring goals

manc grecian

I thought Pym's contract was up and he was looking to leave hence why we signed Jones.

Seaborne
Simpson
Woodman (age)
Brunt
Harley (no chance of this)

Would be the main ones to move on.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Pym's contract was up and he was looking to leave hence why we signed Jones.

Seaborne
Simpson
Woodman (age)
Brunt

J do hope James moves on so inconsistent!

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Seaborne
Simpson
Woodman (age)
Brunt

I heard the same re Pym. Would add James to this list and to be honest I am not sure if I see a future for McAlinden as he’s just not able to nail down a spot and doesn’t score enough.

Boyo

So do we have a definitive list of players who are contracted for next season?

The other piece of information, that of course none of us are privy to, is what each player earns. For me there's little difference between Woody and Moxey this season, performance wise. Given that Moxey is probably earning twice as much as Woody (mere speculation), then given a choice I'd keep Woody. Of course of Moxey is under contract we have to honour that.

Grecian2K

I would respectfully suggest that this thread might still be (a tad) premature.

1) Where are we likely to be plying our trade next season?...if L1 considerable investment on the playing side might be needed.

1a) If the former, budget decisions based on the "prompt" settlement of the Amps money (and possibly Ollie sell-on too???) and, if in League 1 ECFC might be somewhat more attractive for transfer targets in terms of playing...if not, monetary....terms.

2) If, still in L2 (heaven forbid!!) than focus on areas that need strengthening (IMHO mainly midfield and (one or two) up front, plus OF COURSE maybe a right back or two).

2a) We do seem to have some EXTREMELY PROMISING young blood still coming up through the youth setup...as tonight's "dead rubber" in the U23s proves. It might be unfortunate that, in the desperate push for the promotion battle, many may not (yet) get the chance to fully show their talents in what still looks to be a desperately tight run-in.
In an ironic way, with a "safe" 58 points in the bin already, maybe a bit of slippage (ALTHOUGH I PRAY NOT) would give a few of "next season's possible crop" a bit of real L2 practice...especially that quite a few of our run in games could still be against sides still scrapping for survival.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
As the season moves into the final quarter and all appears up for grabs, with the potential of playoffs or even automatic promotion a possibility, I question whether the squad we currently have is strong enough to challenge in league one or heaven forbid should we fall short again will it be strong enough with a few tweaks to actually maintain a successful promtion campaign, and regrettably in both instances I fear it is not.

Should we be promoted it will need to be severely strengthened, almost on a Mansfield scale this season, as some of the players are struggling to maintain consistent fourth division football let alone third division! Likewise as Pete has pointed out on another thread I also feel the first team is weaker this year than last with the loss of Watkins Wheeler and Reid, as well as being supported by three loan players (Loft hasn't really contributed yet so I haven't included him) who will return to their parent club at the end of the season. So whatever the final outcome I believe that we should be having a major clearout.

Squad
Goalkeepers
Pym - Keep
Hamon - Release
Jones - Sign permanently

Defenders
Pierce Sweeney - Keep
Craig Woodman - Release
Troy Brown - Keep
Jordan Moore Taylor - Keep
Dean Moxey - Keep (long term contract)
Troy Archibald Henville - Release
Dan Seaborne - Release
Luke Croll - Keep (Contracted ?)
Jordan Storey - Keep
Alex Hartridge - Keep

Midfielders
Lloyd James - Release
Jordan Tilson - Release
Ryan Harley - Release
Lee Holmes - Release
Alex Byrne - Keep
Jake Taylor - Keep
Joel Randall - Academy Product
Archie Collins - Academy product
Harry Kite - Academy Product
Jack Sparkes - Academy Product
Max Smallcombe - Academy Product
Will Dean - Academy Product
Hiram Boateng - Keep

Forwards
Robbie Simpson - Release
Jayden Stockley - Keep
Ryan Brunt -Keep
Liam McAlinden - Release
Matt Jay - Keep
Ben Seymour - Academy Product

So from the current squad I would release 10, with the two West Brom players retruning making twelve to go and possibly more if some of the Academy products aren't progressing, so I do hope that Mr Tisdale is more successful at the end of the season with his contacts and signings than he was in the January window, particularly as the summer window will be closing earlier this year!
Would agree most of the above but with the possible exceptions of:

Harley and Holmes:

Keep both Harley and Holmes because, whilst at times they can both be frustrating, they are still more than capable of making match winning contributions and should we be promoted are probably more suited to playing League One Football.

If we fail to get promoted I feel it is unlikely that Holmes will stay but even if he does it may necessary to have a rethink and replace both of them with two players more suited to the physicality of League Two.

TAH and Simpson:

I would also keep both TAH and Simpson although if promoted might have a rethink on both. In the case of TAH on the basis that he is probably on fairly low weekly pay and he can still provide reasonable short term cover in the case of injury to Brown or JMT.

Robbie Simpson has probably rightfully been criticised for failure to put the ball in the back of the net. However as with Jayden he works hard and is prepared to put the effort in both penalty areas and was starting to look worth his place towards the end of last season before his injury and is capable of making a positive contribution to the team.

Effect next season playing in League One or League Two:

A lot is going to depend on which division we are in next season If we do fail to get promoted then I think that both JMT and Pym may well want to look at their options.

If we do get promoted we will get a larger share of the TV monies and as we do have some cash to spare ought to be able to attract some new faces up to the standard needed to meet the challenges of League One.

Who knows during the close season we may even be able to get our hands on some of Chelsea’s monies !!?