• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Possible Flybe takeover?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The owners of Southend Airport, Stobart Group are apparently interested in buying up Flybe.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/192069/stobart-group-responds-to-flybe-bid-speculation-192069.html

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If this went ahead, would Flybe change their name? And would they continue to sponsor City?

tonykellowfan

I am sure they would keep the name at least to start with.

However they would probably look at the sponsorship again once the current deal ends.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Possible but I would have thought unlikely. FlyBe has pretty decent brand identity, if they are taking a non-controlling investment position in the company seems like they would need a very good reason to enact a brand change. I think the only way you would see it change would be if they went through M&A with a bigger airline or did a 50/50 merger with someone of similar size like Eastern airways or something.
Even then, the other airline could elect to just run it as a subsidiary and keep the branding.

Question: why would this affect ECFC?

ExeterCityLad

Possible but I would have thought unlikely. FlyBe has pretty decent brand identity, if they are taking a non-controlling investment position in the company seems like they would need a very good reason to enact a brand change. I think the only way you would see it change would be if they went through M&A with a bigger airline or did a 50/50 merger with someone of similar size like Eastern airways or something.
Even then, the other airline could elect to just run it as a subsidiary and keep the branding.

Question: why would this affect ECFC?
It won't, and shouldn't be on WOWS

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It won't, and shouldn't be on WOWS
Probably wrong on the first count, and definitely wrong on the second.

As the company that has sponsored us for 15 seasons, with plenty of other benefits* aside from a few quid in the bank every season, clearly we need to be mindful of what happens to that sponsorship in the event of a takeover.

*So I'm led to believe, anyway.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster

As the company that has sponsored us for 15 seasons, with plenty of other benefits* aside from a few quid in the bank every season, clearly we need to be mindful of what happens to that sponsorship in the event of a takeover.

You're right Jason, it certainly is something that COULD affect ECFC. As part of the larger Stobart Group, there is little doubt that they would revisit the sponsorship issues and this may help or hinder their position as a club sponsor....Stobart were Carlisle shirt sponsors for nearly 20 years...

arthur

We'll be merged with Carlisle. You know it makes sense. Thames Valley Royals anyone?

IndoMike

Agree. Of course it might affect the sponsorship : the new owners will choose how they want to spend the money. And why not on WOWS? Strange comment if I may say so.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We'll be merged with Carlisle. You know it makes sense. Thames Valley Royals anyone?
We could confuse oppositions and get three points every home game by not telling them whether we're playing at SJP or Brunton Park.