• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

And To Follow Up Valentines Day

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marvellous night - 'Exeter City Are Magic'

Oldsmobile-88

I went into the Eagle Tavern at 5pm,for a swift couple,then onto SJP & got into the ground at about 1815,there were already about 6,000 people in the ground at that time.
Stood on the BB near to the back,ended watching midway towards the Cowshed,such was the crush & movement of fans when we scored.
Pretty chaotic outside the ground afterwards,but I just about managed to get back home in Dawlish Warren in time to watch the extended highlights of the game on Sportsnight.

IndoMike

Sends a shiver down from head to toe.

Oldsmobile-88

Often forgotten but about 2,000 Geordies were there as well,short notice in those days to travel that distance for a midweek replay.
I was watching a game at Gateshead a few years ago & got talking to a local in the ground who was a Newcastle supporter on hearing my accent he asked where I was from & then told me he was at the FAC game.He was 15 at the time,he & his mates bunked school to get to the game in Exeter..He said that hiding is in folklore for the fans who travelled that night.

contrabombarde

Sends a shiver down from head to toe.
Me too. Probably the best match at SJP ever ( certainly for me) I too like Olds dashed home to watch it on Sportsnight and I remember Harry Carpenter saying that it was one of the best games ever shown on Sportsnight.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was stood at the back of the big bank on the temporary terracing - thinking back would never get away that in this day and age with the old health & safety !
I too dashed home to watch Sportsnight and see Harry Commentator in the Carpentry Box :) and relive that wonderful performance

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marvellous night - 'Exeter City Are Magic'
I was working late here in Swindon and didn't know the result until I got home and phoned my sister. My dad posted me some E & E cuttings later in the week. I believe one of the cuttings mentioned that one of our players had another job as a milkman?

STURTZ

I was living in London and couldn't make the match, was trying to avoid any news so that I could watch it on Sportsnight without knowing the result. Half time my sister phoned to say that all the family were coming up for the Spurs game, to be fair she never mentioned the score though!

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was working late here in Swindon and didn't know the result until I got home and phoned my sister. My dad posted me some E & E cuttings later in the week. I believe one of the cuttings mentioned that one of our players had another job as a milkman?
Ian Pearson the flying milkman