• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will finishing outside the playoffs be a bad season?

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
What's the expectations exeweb?......

Would finishing outside the playoffs be disappointing? Or what you expected ?

Is a top 10 finish a decent season

Since relegation to league 2:

2012-13 = 10th

2013-14 = 16th

2014-15 = 10th

2015-16 = 14th

2016-17 = 5th

An average of 11th over 5 seasons...

Dubai Grecian

Playoffs were absolutely the minimum.

With investment pre season both on and off the pitch, players and infrastructure, building on an already strong foundation there simply hasn't been any reason why the objective should not become reality.

Banksy

I know my glass is usually half full , but I've never been totally convinced about the maestro's ability to achieve , far too negative and cautious for me.
Just finishing outside the playoffs is my guess, very disappointing but there you go.
And sadly , although it sickens us to admit it , Adams down the road is making a much better fist of trying to get to the Championship let alone League 1 with fairly limited resources.

Last edited:

ecfc2000

Under the right management I feel the current squad is capable of getting automatic promotion. Under the current management we'll be lucky to make the playoffs.

paperclip

Yes a finish outside the playoffs should be regarded as a bad season, given the increase in playing budget handed to the manager after last season. Apart from Luton there aren’t any standout teams this year, so finishing in the top 7 should be regarded as a minimum requirement.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
With our competitive budget play offs is a minimum.

I still believe if we go back to actually trying to pass the ball we could put a run together and challenge for automatics. If we continue with this long ball crap we'll end up mid table and losing customers, it's just so boring and frustrating to watch that the entertainment level is zero.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes of course it will. But I guarentee it'll be explained away as the fault of everyone but our esteemed manager.

Cygnus

After a good start to the season, when we looked like a real automatic promotion contender it now looks like we will be lucky to make the playoffs. It all seems to have gone wrong since the Reid and McAlinden strike partnership was broken up after the signing of Stockley, along with Tisdale's over cautious approach and changing our style to an ineffective long ball side, presumably due to the condition of the pitch.

I can see it now at the end of the season missing out on at least the playoffs will be blamed on the pitch and no responsibility for this squad grossly underachieving will be accepted by Tis. Shouldn't he be held responsible? As with the quality of players in our squad, I'm starting to believe another Manager could get us playing better and winning more matches.

Stop being so cautious Tis, pick the best players in the starting 11, play with width and let's attack teams. This squad is good enough, let's have a go in the last 15 games and we might even get automatic promotion then!

DB9

For me with the investment on and off the pitch in the summer, finishing outside the play-offs would be a failure. No blame on the pitch, Ref's, Injuries, Opposition, Fans "Pressure" If we end up outside the top 7 you can only lay the blame at the manager

Alistair20000

Yes of course it will. But I guarentee it'll be explained away as the fault of everyone but our esteemed manager.
Did not The Cheese himself opine pre season that the P/O’s were his objective ?

Did the Club set him a target ?