• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old Shirts

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the same reason footballers get paid millions of pounds I would imagine. Supply and demand. :)
But often it's more than just simple "supply and demand", though. Its about perceptions not supported by objective information. And maybe the pan-human need to identify with a tribe?

To focus on football, objectively goalkeepers are the most important players on any team, as their errors are more important, but they are not glamorous so command lower fees and lower wages than strikers. Similarly their shirts are rarer (only 2 out of 20+ in a squad) but they are not so valuable.

Another good example is "celebrity" autographs. Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) recently said he is stopping signing stuff as there are so many forgeries around, or if he does will personalise them so they are less tradable and more verifiable.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
why do people suddenly care about vintage shirts? silly money...
I was in an auction for a shirt from the world cup 1970 went to my limit of 18k then rang my boss to ask to borrow more took my bids to in excess of 22k and this particular shirt ended up going for well over 28k.

Its a part of history that no one else has for me personally , I own several shirts that I have paid very strong money for and hang in pride of place at my house 1 also hangs in the Centre Spot on loan to the club.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
They might have been "sold" but it remains to be seen whether they will be paid for.
Seems you may have something there Kirton ..... 5 days after auction and no feedback left for any sort of payment !

I have seen it done before where a friend bids on an item to bump the price up then doesn't need to pay.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its a part of history that no one else has for me personally , I own several shirts that I have paid very strong money for and hang in pride of place at my house 1 also hangs in the Centre Spot on loan to the club.
As a friend (so to speak), you're not inviting any undesirables to set about casing your gaf are you? I'm buggered if I'd pronounce to the world what I had of value hanging about the place!

This has been a public service anouncement.

As a friend (so to speak), you're not inviting any undesirables to set about casing your gaf are you? I'm buggered if I'd pronounce to the world what I had of value hanging about the place!

This has been a public service anouncement.
With Exeweb not having any detail on people's addresses, unless you actually know who Ramone is, knowing what he has in his house makes no difference.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
With Exeweb not having any detail on people's addresses, unless you actually know who Ramone is, knowing what he has in his house makes no difference.
Good point, but he goes to the match with friends doesnt he? And I'm sure many on here know who he really is? I certainly have no clue about him, but I did recently establish he's not really called ramone

Grecian68

Rog H K

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member