• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Big Bank and the Cowshed

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good evening all,

I can't recall now which thread it was on, so I'm starting a new one, but I think someone was asking about historic photos of the big bank and the old cowshed. Here are some old photos for anyone interested to plough through and satisfy their interest and curiosity. Most it the photos were done by the late John Fox at the time;

THE BIG BANK

THE COWSHED

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Yes Pete, that was me. My word though, what an utterly fascinating collection.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Some brilliant pictures there Thanks for posting the link Pete.

LOG

My ever lasting memory of the Big Bank would be standing there in the pouring rain for the cup replay against Orient which went to penalties. I'd made a very poor coat choice that night.

STURTZ

Great photos, loved the pictures of Kellow and Beer and the one featuring Binney with Banks.

Lovely picture of Fred Binney's Head's dad as well!

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Good evening all,

I can't recall now which thread it was on, so I'm starting a new one, but I think someone was asking about historic photos of the big bank and the old cowshed. Here are some old photos for anyone interested to plough through and satisfy their interest and curiosity. Most it the photos were done by the late John Fox at the time;

THE BIG BANK

THE COWSHED
Excellent entertainment Pete.

I do think of one picture that is in need of inclusion though ....The Red Legion display for the Liverpool FA Cup match, what a sight ! Even better if there was a video clip, to get the full effect of the red glitter cascading down the banner ! (clap)

PeteUSA

I'm sorry to hear that John Fox is no longer with us, Pete. A fellow referee, and all round nice guy. rip.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quality pics. It makes me realise how much better the bank is today. When it gets going the BB is something to really be proud of.

It also makes me realise how much I loved the Cow shed Stood there as a kid in the same spot every week, always aware of the slightly 'deranged' element stood behind me, and despite the restricted view with pillars blocking the goal wherever you stood as a kid I bloody loved it.

Andy Holloway

Sadly no pictures of the 'state of the art' gents toilets at the back of The Cowshed, flushed and cleaned only when it rained!!!

denzel

Great pics. I had forgotten how small the 'Big' Bank actually was, though it looked perfectly adequate for some of our sparse crowds in the latter years, presumably some of those were taken either in the mid 80s or 90s! I don't remember the clock either!