• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Great Exeter City v FGR Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I waited for Pate to post his pre- matchday Matchday Thread, but it didn't happen. I am loathe to interfere with his successful reign but someone had to do it . I therefore raise my glass in honour of the best football club south of the borders and expect, hope for, pray for and dream of a great victory tonight.
!Solo la victoria nos interesa!
Come on you reds : lets see the devil in you!!

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I waited for Pate to post his pre- matchday Matchday Thread, but it didn't happen. I am loathe to interfere with his successful reign but someone had to do it . I therefore raise my glass in honour of the best football club south of the borders and expect, hope for, pray for and dream of a great victory tonight.
!Solo la victoria nos interesa!
Come on you reds : lets see the devil in you!!
Be nice if someone came in for doidge before kickoff

David Treharne

The pitch should be good and soggy anyway. It's currently 9c, but feels colder in the 4-5 westerly wind. We've had two really heavy showers in the last hour onto ground which (in my back garden anyway) is already sodden. We've had 3mm or rain in the last 24 hours - but just for Grecian2k I'll admit that in the last week we've had two days with over 10! I expect the showery weather to continue at least through the morning since there's no sign of a rise in the barometric pressure. It should set up an intriguing game- have to hope that one of either JMT or TB are fit to start otherwise I suspect we're are going to struggle. I'll be updating at around 16:00 when I will make suggestions about what the well dressed Grecians fan will need as evening attire.

Terryhall

Be interesting to see if Reid starts, and whether FGR will "play us off the park" as he alleged they did the last 3 times we met them. 2 wins and a draw for ECFC from those 3 games - no complaints from me if we get a similar result tonight.

(Here's the link for anyone who didn't already see it on the Reid thread - https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/transfer-news/reuben-reid-claims-forest-green-1042574)

IndoMike

The pitch should be good and soggy anyway. It's currently 9c, but feels colder in the 4-5 westerly wind. We've had two really heavy showers in the last hour onto ground which (in my back garden anyway) is already sodden. We've had 3mm or rain in the last 24 hours - but just for Grecian2k I'll admit that in the last week we've had two days with over 10! I expect the showery weather to continue at least through the morning since there's no sign of a rise in the barometric pressure. It should set up an intriguing game- have to hope that one of either JMT or TB are fit to start otherwise I suspect we're are going to struggle. I'll be updating at around 16:00 when I will make suggestions about what the well dressed Grecians fan will need as evening attire.
We shouldn't struggle against a team 2nd from bottom even if my grandma plays centre back.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We shouldn't struggle against a team 2nd from bottom even if my grandma plays centre back.
I’d bet your Grandma is better than Seaborne.

IndoMike

I’d bet your Grandma is better than Seaborne.
She thinks she is.. :)

David Treharne

Of course we shouldn't but this is Exeter City playing one of less successful teams in out league - if they were sitting near the top I have no doubt that we would give them a good game and probably run out easy winners- but they're not and have already proved that we find them difficult to break down. I discount the Reid factor (a statement that I will probably come back and bite me on the bum). However I would also contend that without JMT and Troy Brown our defence has looked distinctly wobbly at times - especially when playing left footed players out of position, and with a current central midfield that takes as long to turn as the Torrey Canyon. If you struggle with the analogy look it up!

IndoMike

Of course we shouldn't but this is Exeter City playing one of less successful teams in out league - if they were sitting near the top I have no doubt that we would give them a good game and probably run out easy winners- but they're not and have already proved that we find them difficult to break down. I discount the Reid factor (a statement that I will probably come back and bite me on the bum). However I would also contend that without JMT and Troy Brown our defence has looked distinctly wobbly at times - especially when playing left footed players out of position, and with a current central midfield that takes as long to turn as the Torrey Canyon. If you struggle with the analogy look it up!
I know the analogy, but wouldn't say Jake or Hiram were slow to turn. I've said before i think the team as a unit doesn't move up when we attack and doesn't move back when we defend. The three lines are too static. That is my theory, which could be a load of carp. I therefore believe we are too predictable.

Last edited:

StroudGrecian

Forecast suggests heavy showers through to kick-off - what chance another postponement?