Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Exeter City v FGR Matchday Thread

Re: The Great Exeter City v FGR Matchday Thread

They were marginally better than us first half
    That's generous. I thought they played us off the park. Their number 8, Dayle Grubb, who they've just signed for free from Weston-super-Mare was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. They ended up having 13 shots in the first half to our 3.

Second half was much better. Kyle Edwards terrified their right back from the off and it caused a huge swing in momentum. Besides Edwards I thought Sweeney (although still clearly a stone overweight) and Lloyd James were our best performers. Stockley won some important headers, etc, but was very isolated for long periods. I think that moving Jake Taylor deeper when Edwards came on also had a positive effect. A midfield trio of James, Harley and Tilson has very little energy or dynamism and that's why Grubb in particular ran rings around us in the first 45.

Another important 3 points though. I was moaning at half-time that Tis would probably wait until the 75th minute to make a change but fair play bringing Edwards on was a bold and influential decision.

Think we needed to win that, given the tough games we have coming up, important to cash in on our games in hand against the lower sides.

We seemed happy to drop back and let Forest Green come at us first half, they had the lions share of the ball and pushed us back. Credit to the defence though we tackled and blocked around our own box and very little dribbled through to Pym. One good save at the base of the near post but otherwise fairly untroubled. Forest Green looked lively enough and tried to pass their way through but we were strong. Could it be that Reid and Doige can't play in the same team ()We should have been looking to break fast and catch them but the only player seeming capable of this was Holmes and I think he is hampered by playing up the right, he has to try and cross with his weaker foot. Long balls to Stockley just didn't stick and our midfield was to deep to help him.

Surprisingly confident that we could break them second half and was hoping Edwards would add a bit of zing to the side, he proved as effective against FGR as he did in the cup game and both our goals, which came in our most productive ten minutes after HT, were remarkably similar to our goals in the cup match. A cross to the near post for Stockley and a trip on Edwards (which looked a bit soft) for Sweeny's penalty. Job done sit back.

Good though Edwards was I still think his game is a bit limited, I'd give MoM to Sweeners. Strong in defence, superb penalty and that run up the wing! Type of player you need on a night like tonight.

Edwards the difference, Sweeney had a stormer too, big 3 points. Hopefully momentum is with us!

Quote Originally Posted by jrg333 View Post
    That's generous. I thought they played us off the park. Their number 8, Dayle Grubb, who they've just signed for free from Weston-super-Mare was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. They ended up having 13 shots in the first half to our 3.
    And they finished the game with no goals and no points.

For all of their possession in the first half Pym only had one save to make and most of their attempts on goal came from outside of the area and were blocked well before troubling our glovesman.

The Sweeney did have a great game, btw, and would have been my MoM.
    Last edited by LOG; 01 February 2018 at 00:31. Reason: The Sweeney, The Sweeney...

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    .........Doidge substituted weird decision by Cooper.
    Was set close to the FGR fans and they were giving Cooper "dog's abuse" over that. He certainly heard it too, and didn't look too happy about it ! As said elsewhere, maybe there's a common thread here Reid/Stockley, Reid/Doidge.

Ruben does seem to be over indulging in the veggie burgers though, and his "slimline" appearance at the start of the season, is a thing of the past !

Just saw the highlights: That was a messy old penalty if ever I've seen one. I think FG were a bit unlucky there. Any contact on our player had to be guesswork by the ref, who blew for it while strolling into the penalty area. I think the highlights show the incident (such as it is) more clearly than any view the referee had. I dont know where any point of contact is?

Quote Originally Posted by jrg333 View Post
    That's generous. I thought they played us off the park. Their number 8, Dayle Grubb, who they've just signed for free from Weston-super-Mare was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.
    Grubb was signed for free ? I think if you check, he was signed for yet another of those infuriating "undisclosed" jobbies !. He was impressive though.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    Just saw the highlights: That was a messy old penalty if ever I've seen one. I think FG were a bit unlucky there. Any contact on our player had to be guesswork by the ref, who blew for it while strolling into the penalty area. I think the highlights show the incident (such as it is) more clearly than any view the referee had. I dont know where any point of contact is?
    It was never a penalty Pete, simple as.

Quote Originally Posted by Colesman Ballz View Post
    Grubb was signed for free ? I think if you check, he was signed for yet another of those infuriating "undisclosed" jobbies !. He was impressive though.
    Perhaps the sort of local talent we should be considering, especially with our Weston Super Mare connection,have we got any scouts anymore?
    Last edited by chunkymorrinmunter; 01 February 2018 at 05:38.

Quote Originally Posted by grecIAN Harris View Post
    It was never a penalty Pete, simple as.
    Ian, I didnt think so, but it sounds better coming from you, what with you being behind the goal an' all. There seemed to be an ongoing silence after the referee did that strident blow of his whistle. Nobody seemed to know, until he pointed more accurately what he had blown for?