• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Red Bill

Lots of comments on various threads about Matt Jay so as I couldn't find a thread of his own I thought I'd start one.

I've only seen a bit of Matt Jay, mostly in PSFs but what I've seen of him so far this season, I've been very impressed with and I think its time he got a few regular starts. Despite Stockley's individual effectiveness it been hard to find him a partner that works with him, I can't help feeling that a player of Matt Jays type could well be exactly what he needs. A couple of yers ago Tisdale was being interviewed by some young fans who asked him who he thought was City's best player and Tisdale replied something along the lines of "if you mean the most skilful player, then I'd say Matt Jay.

A lot of the comments about Jay have related to his height, whilst he maybe small, there are plenty of players throughout the world his height or smaller who've been some of the greatest players ever. We have height in Stockley, so I think there's plenty of room for a skilful, terrier like workhorse in the team.

Lets give him a go I say!

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
I watched Matt in a PSF at Chippenham a few years back and he was easily the best player on the pitch that day.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd echo Red Bill's sentiments. Went to last night's U23 game and I thought Matt was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Starting off on the right side of midfield, he moved into the frontline in the second half and was excellent in both roles. The half volley with the outside of his foot, after he'd exchanged passes with Liam McAlinden, deserved [much] better than to come back off the post and spin agonisingly along the line - without wishing to resort to cliches, it really would have been a goal worthy of winning any game. As an aside, I've spoken to a couple of senior players who, entirely independently, have told me MJ is the most technically accomplished player at the club.

Like others, I've wondered in the past why we kept giving Matt new contracts, given his dearth of starts. However, having seen a bit more of him this season, for me the question has now tuned on its head: why isn't Matt Jay starting more games? I think he deserves to.

Last edited:
I'm one of the poeple who've commented on his height - it could be a perspective thing, it could him going up against big lower division CBs, but he just looks very short. Pete Martin commented in another thread that Jay is 5'8", I'd be amazed if that were true! I'm 5'9" and Matt looks much shorter than me.

That said, I've really only seen him play against Barnet, in which I thought he was MotM that day, and unlucky to be subbed. As soon as he nets that elusive first goal, he'll be a real asset to the side, and I really hope he's given a run in the side alongside Stockley (let's face it, if he plays alongside Stockley given our propensity to hit high balls at the moment, his height is no longer an issue). There's a touch of Stanno about him with his persistence and work-rate, all he needs is that first goal.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've never rated him and am always surprised to find that he hasn't been released. He seems to dart about a lot and looks energetic but doesn't really get on the ball.
From reading the posts above it sounds like I maybe wrong, particularly if the other pro's regard him as the most technically gifted player at the club, I've just not yet seen it myself.

Tisdale obviously doesn't think he's quite ready yet to start regularly as we know Tisdale is more than happy to play youth if he thinks their ready.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
He seems to have been incredibly unlucky in front of goal. He could have had a couple of goals in the games I've seen him in. Very unlucky to not have got anything.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
He seems to have been incredibly unlucky in front of goal. He could have had a couple of goals in the games I've seen him in. Very unlucky to not have got anything.
It was harder to miss with that header that hit the bar. I'm not sure I'd call that unlucky

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He reminds me a lot of Chris Shepherd. Similar height, work rate, likes to get on the ball etc.

Hopefully he will turn out better than Shepherd but he needs to be given a fair number of games to really tell how good he is.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's no way he's 5ft 8 as suggested elsewhere. I'd say 5ft 4" max. The lad is tiny. as small a player as I've seen for City. I reckon Afful was taller

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
It must be very frustrating to be Matt Jay. Best friends with Ollie Watkins (Having formed a devastating U18 striking partnership) and was a long way ahead him a few years back, even though a few weeks younger. Now of course.... the contrast in their fortunes...

Tis gave him his full league debut as long ago as August 2014 and , as others have commented, Tis said last season that Matt was the most technically gifted player in the squad. I saw him earlier this season in an U23 game and , frankly, he didn't have as good a game as last night's write up. But -and here's the rub - IIRC he scored the two goals that won the game. I'd settle for that every week! I think I also remember a Tis comment to the effect that he needed to take his chances.

So for me he either starts scoring or I would try him as a long term replacement for Ryan Harley's role

Last edited: