• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Spending our Windfall

Saint James

Making an assumption that the fee we receive for Ampadu and/or any subsequent sell on received for Watkins is a seven figure fee in excess of £1M should we go down the road pursued by the Swindon Town Trust in re-purchasing our ground?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-39290058

This could happen if the Club were to re-pay the loans made by the Trust which are I believe around £800k? The added benefit of this would be to clear this debt from the Balance Sheet.

Alternatively should we invest in e.g. a state of the art new building at the Training Ground and replace the wooden building that has served the club well for 40 years but may be toward the end of its life? This would provide the opportunity for a blank canvas to include e.g. a proper gym or should we go for broke and spend it on the playing side?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
C&F pavilion, pitch, playing staff, rainy day money in that order. If we buy the ground back we’ve then got a realisable asset for the vultures to start taking an interest. It’s not a cost issue, but we really should now be pushing for a long term (at least three figures long term) lease on the ground.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
C&F pavilion, pitch, playing staff, rainy day money in that order. If we buy the ground back we’ve then got a realisable asset for the vultures to start taking an interest. It’s not a cost issue, but we really should now be pushing for a long term (at least three figures long term) lease on the ground.
Not much difference between buying the ground and getting a 100 year lease.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The club would never just spunk the lot on the playing staff, and rightly so.

Personally I think getting a proper pitch in place at SJP should take priority over training facilities and first team budget.

Red Devon

I’m all in favour of the three tranche approach

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Me too... Goalscoring Striker, a midfielder who's not afraid to get stuck in and a dominant centre half, all old fashioned and no-nonsense in style. We need to show some ambition and send out a signal. Its not rocket science, etc.

edindevon

If we buy the ground back we’ve then got a realisable asset for the vultures to start taking an interest. It’s not a cost issue, but we really should now be pushing for a long term (at least three figures long term) lease on the ground.
Agree with that. I've changed my mind about us getting back ownership of the ground in recent years. As you say, as soon as we have an asset we become a target. Sorry to say, but I've got more faith in the council's ability to look after this asset than the club board's.

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with that. I've changed my mind about us getting back ownership of the ground in recent years. As you say, as soon as we have an asset we become a target. Sorry to say, but I've got more faith in the council's ability to look after this asset than the club board's.
Difference between a 100 year lease and buying the ground with usage restrictions seems like one of degree more than a black and white difference anyway...

Oldsmobile-88

Yep..I agree..Wine,Women & Song,sound good to me(as long as I’m involved:D)

Colesman Ballz

The Club doesn't buy the Ground back, the Trust does, that prevents the club becoming a target. The Council would be more likely to sell it to the Trust too !