• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Var

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It can be called upon for decisions involving goals, penalties, red cards and cases of mistaken identity.

I suppose it was inevitable that it arrived now that television dictates what happens in top level football but I don't like it. They could use the money to train referees to a higher standard so that all levels benefit or they could use it to take retrospective action against off the ball violent incidents. Anyway, it's not for me.

Fans feel incensed when a poor refereeing decision goes against their team but is that really such a bad thing ? Isn't this one more thing that helps make football the greatest game on the planet by far ?

What do you reckon ?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anything that overturns a howler decision by the officials merits trial and consideration IMO.

No, it is not good when a wrong decision goes against you........or for you.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The thing is, like with DRS it will forget its duty and be used for borderline decisions (as with the one last night), which is not what it's meant to do.

Part of the essence of Cricket is lost with DRS, as most dismissals can't be celebrated immediately as the 3rd umpire needs to be involved (even clean bowled - was it a no ball?).

Goal line technology = great, it deals with matters of fact. VAR = meh, as it deals mostly with matters of opinion.

One knock-on effect for us lowly lot will be that when this is implemented (when, not if), assuming they go down the route used in these experiments of having a proper ref do the video stuff, that will mean a further 10 refs being used for a full Premier League programme (in addition to the 10 they need to hold up a digital board and tell managers to calm down). This will further dilute the quality of refereeing in the Football League, already a bone of contention for some (see Darren Ferguson's disgraceful remarks on Saturday for which IMO he needs a lengthy ban).

LOG

I don't know how they're proposing this will work but is it going to create breaks in play where we can go to a message from our sponsors for televised games? That, in itself, would be enough for me to nay it.

Colesman Ballz

Surely anything that would have prevented incidents like that cheating barsteward's "hand of God" episode, or Thierry Henry's cheating against ROI, in the play-off which kept ROI from taking their rightful place in the 2010 World Cup Finals, has to be for the good of the game !

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Surely anything that would have prevented incidents like that cheating barsteward's "hand of God" episode, or Thierry Henry's cheating against ROI, in the play-off which kept ROI from taking their rightful place in the 2010 World Cup Finals, has to be for the good of the game !
I like a nice reply on this score from another forum:

Poster on another forum said:
Football is 11 blokes kicking a football around for fun. The result doesn?t matter that much as long as the people playing it (and since the advent of spectators) and those looking on enjoy themselves. As long as there is a referee as arbiter of the laws, and he is not biased, then everyone can have a jolly time. The spectacle must take precedence over the brainless drive to eliminate all refereeing errors, or what do we have left? There's a reason that games of chess attract far smaller crowds than games of football.

Colesman Ballz

I like a nice reply on this score from another forum:
I don't think that Bill Shankly would have seen it that way ! :)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think the Maradonna handball was cheating. The cross was too high, he'd mistimed his run, the ball was subsequently above and slightly behind him. He handled it and knocked it in. Handball. Booking.

It was the referee and linesman who got it wrong. On purpose or accidentally - who knows ? Personally I doubt their integrity and always did.

VAR would eliminate travesties in this type of situation but I would prefer the controversy to some sterile, FIFA17 version of the game.

Bet a quid nobody else thinks Maradonna didn't cheat.

LOG

I've always blamed Peter Shilton for that goal.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I've always blamed Peter Shilton for that goal.
Not Steve Hodge?