• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Today 1977, beating Aldershot 3-0 and celebrating our promotion to Division 3. The Club's second promotion, and the my first as a fan.
Mine as well. Happy days.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Today 1977, beating Aldershot 3-0 and celebrating our promotion to Division 3. The Club's second promotion, and the my first as a fan.
I remember it well. In those days we had flowers growing on the bank in front of the Cowshead. Pre-teen kids jumped over the hoardings and sat there. Not good for the flowers, obviously, but the excitement of the kids was understandable. Then, along came a killjoy steward....
Whatever, come the final whistle, joy was unconfined.
Seem to remember that the attendance was around 10,600. I could check it, but I'm content to just let these good memories go unchallenged.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
On this day in 1929, Cliff Bastin signed for Arsenal for £2000. I wonder what happened to the money? :)

eurogrecian

On this day in 1929, Cliff Bastin signed for Arsenal for £2000. I wonder what happened to the money? :)
I expect that somebody will suggest that Julian Tagg spent it on another Bentley

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I expect that somebody will suggest that Julian Tagg spent it on another Bentley
Or it went towards Sir Tis of the Dales wages !

Red Bill

Ah remember it well. The start of the most successful spell the club's ever had. Promotion to the third tier, 8th and 9th placed finishes in a seven (or was it eight) season stay and making the quarter finals of the FA cup at a time when all clubs took it seriously and it was watched all over the world.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
From the Grecians Archive people

On this day in 1908 Exeter City were elected to the Southern League in a meeting at the Charterhouse Hotel in London.