Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    That just shows that many players have a human approachable side to their nature, at our league level at least?.

I well remember when Eric Welsh and Mike Hughes first signed for the club as youngsters, back around 1960-61. When they first arrived in the city, they used to come down the dear old Clock Tower Cafe and sit in with us buays. We got real pally with them; they didnt know anybody else in Exeter. I'm really chuffed that we got to know them in their formative years, and both went on to have lengthy successful stays with the club.

Mike married an Exeter girl and after a spell at Torquay eventually became a legend at Yeovil, as a player and player coach/manager. Eric moved up to then high flying Carlisle, where he was capped for Ireland. I know Eric now lives in Paignton, and is badly afflicted with arthritis (that makes two of us!). I was sorry that his recent visit to meet the fans at SJP wasnt filmed, and I have yet to see a photo. I'd love to meet up with him one day.
    Anyone remember the milk bar in St Sidwell Street right hand side as you walked up from London Inn Square. A regular haunt for City players until it was demolished to make way for the so called improvements which took place late 1950s early 1960s.

I like these kind of threads where you get to hear people's memories of long gone players, matches and so on

would love to have people come along to these sessions, they are great fun . There is FREE tea, coffee and biscuits !! Please note that they now start at 10:00 and finish at 12:00 noon.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalad View Post
    Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    Thanks CB I started it with a certain amount of trepidation as I was unsure what reaction I would get. Thankfully it seems to be going in the direction I was hoping.
    Never worry about starting a thread, I say. I've done some good ones and some bad ones. You never know which ones will interest others until you post .

My first memories of SJP are from early 1971.
    15 new pence(just after decimalisation,was 3 bob) for Juveniles admission
    Bob Wilson in goal,Campbell Crawford,Jimmy Blain full backs.
    Mike Balson(capt) Graham Parker in the midfield area(a couple of really tough players)
    Alan Banks & Fred Bonney up front.Also recall John Wingate & Barry Rowan from that era.

After the game lots of supporters(me included) would gather outside the Rediffusion shop in Sidwell St to watch the results come in on the TV.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile-88; 15 January 2018 at 15:51.

Anyone recall the match where some comedian removed the ladder from the TV camera gantry in the cowshed leaving Don Arnold and or Gary Newbon stranded?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    My first memories of SJP are from early 1971.
    15 new pence(just after decimalisation,was 3 bob) for Juveniles admission
    Bob Wilson in goal,Campbell Crawford,Jimmy Blain full backs.
    Mike Balson(capt) Graham Parker in the midfield area(a couple of really tough players)
    Alan Banks & Fred Bonney up front.Also recall John Wingate & Barry Rowan from that era.

After the game lots of supporters(me included) would gather outside the Rediffusion shop in Sidwell St to watch the results come in on the TV.
    That's exactly where I started (but in 1973)!

Quote Originally Posted by chunkymorrinmunter View Post
    Anyone recall the match where some comedian removed the ladder from the TV camera gantry in the cowshed leaving Don Arnold and or Gary Newbon stranded?
    This may be a different occasion but the same thing happened when Chris Fear from Westward TV was up with his camera and crew. I used to stand just underneath and the lads used to take the p$$s out of him cruelly. He took it all in good part though. Good old days. Brilliant thread especially for one approaching senility.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkymorrinmunter View Post
    There are quite a few comedians on Exeweb of the right age ! Come on, OWN UP, your place awaits in the Exeweb Hall of Fame !