Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by rightwing View Post
    I certainly do as I wore the number 11 used by Gordon Dale whilst playing for the reserves. I loved that kit and would give an arm and a leg to have that shirt now.
    What was the make up of the reserves in those days RW..With only 16-18 professionals signed,were additional players signed on semi pro & amateur ?
    I seem to recall in the 1970s,players for the reserves were picked up from St Luke’s College.The Grecians had no back up keeper in the promotion run in from Feb 1977,Sod’s law dictated that keeper Richard Key broke his ankle & a replacement was found at St Lukes(John Baugh)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    What was the make up of the reserves in those days RW..With only 16-18 professionals signed,were additional players signed on semi pro & amateur ?
    I seem to recall in the 1970s,players for the reserves were picked up from St Luke’s College.The Grecians had no back up keeper in the promotion run in from Feb 1977,Sod’s law dictated that keeper Richard Key broke his ankle & a replacement was found at St Lukes(John Baugh)
    The reserves usually played 3 or 4 professionals. Then there were 2 apprentice professionals (Pete Rutley and Pete Quarrington). I think Graham Rees was a part timer at that time along with a fullback from Newton Abbott whose name eludes me. The rest of us were amateurs - people like Dave Lightfoot, Louis Burnette, Johnny Dodds, Johnny Vanstone and keeper Tony Clarke (who later played about 250 games for Yeovil).

According to the "Complete Record 1904-90", Graham Rees was still a part-timer in our 1963-64 promotion year, when he missed only one game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
    According to the "Complete Record 1904-90", Graham Rees was still a part-timer in our 1963-64 promotion year, when he missed only one game.
    And he only missed one game! I recall he was an accountant by trade.

Hartlepool away 88/89 on a bleak November day with City losing 2:0 at the time...Terry Cooper joined the 50 or so City fans in the away end and told us he’d had enough of that side and would build us a winning team (words to that effect anyway) the rest is history....think the game ended up 2:2 that day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devon View Post
    Hartlepool away 88/89 on a bleak November day with City losing 2:0 at the time...Terry Cooper joined the 50 or so City fans in the away end and told us he’d had enough of that side and would build us a winning team (words to that effect anyway) the rest is history....think the game ended up 2:2 that day though.
    Complete with a rendition of Terry Coopers red and white army for the last 25 minutes of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devon View Post
    I remember that,it came the week after the dreadful performance & defeat at Bognor Regis in the FAC,where he was quoted as saying his misses could play better than some of the team...
    We were 0-2 down & playing crap as usual & a few were singing ‘bring on your misses’
    TC came over from the dugout & bearing in mind the row with supporters at Bognor the previous week(he offered to see someone ‘outside’ to sort them out)I along with a few others thought,here we go again,but he said ‘I know this is crap,but just bear with me until I can sort the squad out’...We scored a couple of late goals to equalise,with the manager among us.
    Looking back,a amazing senario.

Its quite unbelievable how Cooper was the toast of the town following that promotion under him, and driven to the brink of a nervous breakdown towards the end of his second spell! Imagine if Tisdale had been managing in those times - he wouldnt have lasted a season.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    Its quite unbelievable how Cooper was the toast of the town following that promotion under him, and driven to the brink of a nervous breakdown towards the end of his second spell! Imagine if Tisdale had been managing in those times - he wouldnt have lasted a season.
    Coopers 1st season was not great,but a vast improvement on the previous campaigns.He improved the home form,which was vital in keeping supporters onside.Ivor Doble deserves great credit for bringing him to SJP.

Just see in Exeter Memories about a ladies match played at the County Ground in 1895!

Anyway, there is an event coming up that might interest some of you

The Grecian Archive are holding an evening titled 'Women in Football' in the Heritage Lounge at St James Park on Tuesday, March 6 at 7pm.

The event will include a showing of a documentary titled 'Women in Football', filmed as part of the heritage lottery funded 'Exeter City Football Club Museum Project', the short documentary uses archival material and interviews with a number of Exeter City FC players, trainers and volunteers, in order to take a closer look at the history of women in football in Exeter, both on and off the pitch.

The archive, which was created in 2015 by the University of Exeter in collaboration with the Exeter City Football Club History Group, hosts materials from Exeter City Football Club, the Supporters Trust, and a number of individuals who have generously contributed resources to it. The archive was subsequenly enriched during the HLF funded History of St James Park project (2016-7).

If you would like to attend it would help if you could please reply to this email or to [email protected].