Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by rightwing View Post
    I certainly do as I wore the number 11 used by Gordon Dale whilst playing for the reserves. I loved that kit and would give an arm and a leg to have that shirt now.
    What was the make up of the reserves in those days RW..With only 16-18 professionals signed,were additional players signed on semi pro & amateur ?
    I seem to recall in the 1970s,players for the reserves were picked up from St Luke’s College.The Grecians had no back up keeper in the promotion run in from Feb 1977,Sod’s law dictated that keeper Richard Key broke his ankle & a replacement was found at St Lukes(John Baugh)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    What was the make up of the reserves in those days RW..With only 16-18 professionals signed,were additional players signed on semi pro & amateur ?
    I seem to recall in the 1970s,players for the reserves were picked up from St Luke’s College.The Grecians had no back up keeper in the promotion run in from Feb 1977,Sod’s law dictated that keeper Richard Key broke his ankle & a replacement was found at St Lukes(John Baugh)
    The reserves usually played 3 or 4 professionals. Then there were 2 apprentice professionals (Pete Rutley and Pete Quarrington). I think Graham Rees was a part timer at that time along with a fullback from Newton Abbott whose name eludes me. The rest of us were amateurs - people like Dave Lightfoot, Louis Burnette, Johnny Dodds, Johnny Vanstone and keeper Tony Clarke (who later played about 250 games for Yeovil).

According to the "Complete Record 1904-90", Graham Rees was still a part-timer in our 1963-64 promotion year, when he missed only one game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
    According to the "Complete Record 1904-90", Graham Rees was still a part-timer in our 1963-64 promotion year, when he missed only one game.
    And he only missed one game! I recall he was an accountant by trade.