Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    Also who remembers City playing in red and white hoops and white shorts?
    Shows the hoops but not the white socks SB

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Exet...xeter_City.htm

love the blue shorts and socks of the 20,30,s. but best white addidas kit

So no one remembers the tangerine kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    So no one remembers the tangerine kit?
    I certainly do as I wore the number 11 used by Gordon Dale whilst playing for the reserves. I loved that kit and would give an arm and a leg to have that shirt now.

Quote Originally Posted by rightwing View Post
    I certainly do as I wore the number 11 used by Gordon Dale whilst playing for the reserves. I loved that kit and would give an arm and a leg to have that shirt now.
    What League did the reserves play in at that time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    What League did the reserves play in at that time ?
    E and D Premier.

I think rightwing is refering to a much later time. I only know what I think the league the reserves played in was during the mid to late 50's and early 60's. It was known as The Southern League, and I dont believe it was regionalised. We played teams like Chelmsford, Romford, Yeovil, and later Bridport and Torquay United Reserves. I recall circa 1962 seeing legendary Spurs and England keeper Ted Ditchburn, turn out for Romford at SJP. I think he had joined them as player manager.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    I think rightwing is refering to a much later time. I only know what I think the league the reserves played in was during the mid to late 50's and early 60's. It was known as The Southern League, and I dont believe it was regionalised. We played teams like Chelmsford, Romford, Yeovil, and later Bridport and Torquay United Reserves. I recall circa 1962 seeing legendary Spurs and England keeper Ted Ditchburn, turn out for Romford at SJP. I think he had joined them as player manager.
    Pete, I was referring to 61-62 when that orange kit was used by the reserves. There were a lot of financial constraints that year and, with no subs in those days, the Club only ran with 17 or 18 professionals. The constraints hit the reserves as well, hence the fall to the E and D.
    Last edited by rightwing; 09 February 2018 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    The reserves played in the Southern League until 59-60.Romford were also in the 22 team league.
    Other teams included,Burton Albion,Corby,Dover,Margate,Cambridge Utd,Merthyr,Folkestone,plus a load of other teams in the SE Area.The travelling costs must have been horrendous for a 2nd string team.
    The nearest teams were Gloucester & Trowbridge.

Quote Originally Posted by rightwing View Post
    Pete, I was referring to 61-62 when that orange kit was used by the reserves. There were a lot of financial constraints that year and, with no subs in those days, the Club only ran with 17 or 18 professionals. The constraints hit the reserves as well, hence the fall to the E and D.
    Ade, I knew you would have accurate knowledge of what league they played in. Sorry I missunderstood. I was thinking more of the 50's really, when our irish keeper Hugh Kelly got injured and came out to play on the right wing (Boy! People think Akinfenwa's Large!) As I recall, Dave Butterworth went into goal. That was in the good old days of Dilwyn Hill rip, Peter Rapley, Ian Grinney and Trevor Atkins.