Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 347

Thread: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

  1. #251
    ramone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !
    Posts
    4,301

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    Also who remembers City playing in red and white hoops and white shorts?
    Shows the hoops but not the white socks SB

    http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Exet...xeter_City.htm

  2. #252

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    love the blue shorts and socks of the 20,30,s. but best white addidas kit

  3. #253

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    So no one remembers the tangerine kit?

  4. #254
    rightwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    So no one remembers the tangerine kit?
    I certainly do as I wore the number 11 used by Gordon Dale whilst playing for the reserves. I loved that kit and would give an arm and a leg to have that shirt now.

  5. #255
    Oldsmobile-88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In RaWZ we trust....Amen.
    Posts
    12,222

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing View Post
    I certainly do as I wore the number 11 used by Gordon Dale whilst playing for the reserves. I loved that kit and would give an arm and a leg to have that shirt now.
    What League did the reserves play in at that time ?

  6. #256
    rightwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    What League did the reserves play in at that time ?
    E and D Premier.

  7. #257

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Avondale (Near Phoenix) Arizona, USA.
    Posts
    16,560

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    I think rightwing is refering to a much later time. I only know what I think the league the reserves played in was during the mid to late 50's and early 60's. It was known as The Southern League, and I dont believe it was regionalised. We played teams like Chelmsford, Romford, Yeovil, and later Bridport and Torquay United Reserves. I recall circa 1962 seeing legendary Spurs and England keeper Ted Ditchburn, turn out for Romford at SJP. I think he had joined them as player manager.

  8. #258
    rightwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    I think rightwing is refering to a much later time. I only know what I think the league the reserves played in was during the mid to late 50's and early 60's. It was known as The Southern League, and I dont believe it was regionalised. We played teams like Chelmsford, Romford, Yeovil, and later Bridport and Torquay United Reserves. I recall circa 1962 seeing legendary Spurs and England keeper Ted Ditchburn, turn out for Romford at SJP. I think he had joined them as player manager.
    Pete, I was referring to 61-62 when that orange kit was used by the reserves. There were a lot of financial constraints that year and, with no subs in those days, the Club only ran with 17 or 18 professionals. The constraints hit the reserves as well, hence the fall to the E and D.
    Last edited by rightwing; 09 February 2018 at 09:40.

  9. #259
    Oldsmobile-88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In RaWZ we trust....Amen.
    Posts
    12,222

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    I think rightwing is refering to a much later time. I only know what I think the league the reserves played in was during the mid to late 50's and early 60's. It was known as The Southern League, and I dont believe it was regionalised. We played teams like Chelmsford, Romford, Yeovil, and later Bridport and Torquay United Reserves. I recall circa 1962 seeing legendary Spurs and England keeper Ted Ditchburn, turn out for Romford at SJP. I think he had joined them as player manager.
    The reserves played in the Southern League until 59-60.Romford were also in the 22 team league.
    Other teams included,Burton Albion,Corby,Dover,Margate,Cambridge Utd,Merthyr,Folkestone,plus a load of other teams in the SE Area.The travelling costs must have been horrendous for a 2nd string team.
    The nearest teams were Gloucester & Trowbridge.

  10. #260

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Avondale (Near Phoenix) Arizona, USA.
    Posts
    16,560

    Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing View Post
    Pete, I was referring to 61-62 when that orange kit was used by the reserves. There were a lot of financial constraints that year and, with no subs in those days, the Club only ran with 17 or 18 professionals. The constraints hit the reserves as well, hence the fall to the E and D.
    Ade, I knew you would have accurate knowledge of what league they played in. Sorry I missunderstood. I was thinking more of the 50's really, when our irish keeper Hugh Kelly got injured and came out to play on the right wing (Boy! People think Akinfenwa's Large!) As I recall, Dave Butterworth went into goal. That was in the good old days of Dilwyn Hill rip, Peter Rapley, Ian Grinney and Trevor Atkins.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •