• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
He ran a pub beside the little harbour, but can't remember the name.
I think that area is known as Cockwood. The pub there might be The Anchor, but I'm not sure. I used to go there on business, would you believe?

Early Bath

It was either the Anchor Inn or the Ship Inn, The Anchor faces the harbour whereas the Ship is slightly to one side.

PeteUSA

It was either the Anchor Inn or the Ship Inn, The Anchor faces the harbour whereas the Ship is slightly to one side.
I'm not sure which one of those Bert Hoyle ran. Whichever it was, I understand the demon drink got the better of him, but he came through it succesfully.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Barney Singleton
He used to live in Diamond Road, near Butts Ferry. Quite near us, so I would see him sometimes.

contrabombarde

I'm not sure which one of those Bert Hoyle ran. Whichever it was, I understand the demon drink got the better of him, but he came through it succesfully.
He was a brilliant advert for those with alcohol problems and stayed "dry" for many many years. I remember him telling me how he would play a match at SJP and then go on a bender and wake up and find himself in Preston or somewhere. He would always help those with similar problems and was never too embarrassed to talk about it.

IndoMike

"The Ship" rings a bell.

contrabombarde

"The Ship" rings a bell.
Yes it was "The Ship"

iscalad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Hoyle

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
An excellent and long overdue idea Sexton. (y) (clap)
Thanks CB I started it with a certain amount of trepidation as I was unsure what reaction I would get. Thankfully it seems to be going in the direction I was hoping.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope this thread 'sticks' my mate. When I tried it, it didnt last 24 hours! the "and Present" could be in your favour though.
Hopefully it will Pete although I would be perfectly happy if the mods decided that it merited being included as one the forum threads along WOW etc under the “Exeter City FC” heading. As for the title I included “present” in the hope it would encourage people of all ages to contribute......fingers crossed.