• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
As so many threads seem to end up going down “memory lane” I thought it might be an idea to start one where those of us that want to do so can reminisce and share our memories of following the Grecians over this and the last century.

Tempus has certainly fugited for me and it would be great if anyone out there of a certain age can remember the likes of Charlie McClelland (my first boyhood footballing hero) Angus McKay and Bert Hoyle and the days when City played in red and white hooped shirts.

To my mind happy memories are so much better when having someone to share them with what does everyone think?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
As so many threads seem to end up going down “memory lane” I thought it might be an idea to start one where those of us that want to do so can reminisce and share our memories of following the Grecians over this and the last century.

Tempus has certainly fugited for me and it would be great if anyone out there of a certain age can remember the likes of Charlie McClelland (my first boyhood footballing hero) Angus McKay and Bert Hoyle and the days when City played in red and white hooped shirts.

To my mind happy memories are so much better when having someone to share them with what does everyone think?
An excellent and long overdue idea Sexton. (y) (clap)

iscalad

For face to face meetings.

Sporting Memories sessions

They are run by Peter Ferlie from City Community Trust with Dr Ali Haggett from Exeter University

It runs every Wednesday in the Grecian Centre from 9.30am for about 2 hours.

It's for seniors and just encourages them to talk about their memories with 'sport' as the 'hook' to get them going.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Bleddy hell ! This thread has got pop-up ads on it already ! :)

Ps Sorry Isca, just couldn't resist that.

PeteUSA

I hope this thread 'sticks' my mate. When I tried it, it didnt last 24 hours! the "and Present" could be in your favour though.

IndoMike

Joining in with the spirit of this thread here are a couple of little anecdotes which I hope will not bore you.
I had several aunts, two of whom were Exeter City crazy. They knew players like Barney Singleton quite well. They often went up to London to watch away games. For some reason they hated Brentford. Aunt Bess was a total battle-axe and apparently got into trouble with the locals after standing up in the grandstand, swinging her handbag and giving grief to one of Brentford's players.
People had so much character in those days. She hated Jimmy Greaves and I've actually seen her sitting in her armchair with her back to the screen for a Cup Final around 1961 (I was a little kid but already football mad) because Greavesy was playing.
In those days many of the players got to know the fans well and I believe some of them popped into Aunt Phyllis' house for a cuppa and slice of cake.

PeteUSA

That just shows that many players have a human approachable side to their nature, at our league level at least?.

I well remember when Eric Welsh and Mike Hughes first signed for the club as youngsters, back around 1960-61. When they first arrived in the city, they used to come down the dear old Clock Tower Cafe and sit in with us buays. We got real pally with them; they didnt know anybody else in Exeter. I'm really chuffed that we got to know them in their formative years, and both went on to have lengthy successful stays with the club.

Mike married an Exeter girl and after a spell at Torquay eventually became a legend at Yeovil, as a player and player coach/manager. Eric moved up to then high flying Carlisle, where he was capped for Ireland. I know Eric now lives in Paignton, and is badly afflicted with arthritis (that makes two of us!). I was sorry that his recent visit to meet the fans at SJP wasnt filmed, and I have yet to see a photo. I'd love to meet up with him one day.

iscalad

There's a bit about Eric Welsh here:-

http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/593

Early Bath

I remember Bert Hoyle and Barney Singleton, but unfortunately not the year/s. I believe Bert finished up owning a pub in Starcross.

Also remember sitting on the bank in front of the Cowshed on occasions when it got a bit crowded!

IndoMike

I remember Bert Hoyle and Barney Singleton, but unfortunately not the year/s. I believe Bert finished up owning a pub in Starcross.

Also remember sitting on the bank in front of the Cowshed on occasions when it got a bit crowded!
He ran a pub beside the little harbour, but can't remember the name.