Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Re: Exeter City FC Memories Past and Present

Not a City memory but I felt that many if not all Exewebbers would enjoy this. I have come across this website www.moviesonline.mx where amazingly it seems possible to watch even some of the latest films for free and have watched a brilliant film simply called “Matthews” about the life and career of Sir Stan Matthews. A truly heart warming and inspiring story of a modest, friendly individual who just like another more modern Sir, Sir Bobby Charlton, epitomised the true qualities of what once made Football really a “beautiful game” before it was sullied by current overpaid, pampered and not particularly skilful individuals who would not be fit to tie up the shoe laces of either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    Just see in Exeter Memories about a ladies match played at the County Ground in 1895!

Anyway, there is an event coming up that might interest some of you

The Grecian Archive are holding an evening titled 'Women in Football' in the Heritage Lounge at St James Park on Tuesday, March 6 at 7pm.

The event will include a showing of a documentary titled 'Women in Football', filmed as part of the heritage lottery funded 'Exeter City Football Club Museum Project', the short documentary uses archival material and interviews with a number of Exeter City FC players, trainers and volunteers, in order to take a closer look at the history of women in football in Exeter, both on and off the pitch.

The archive, which was created in 2015 by the University of Exeter in collaboration with the Exeter City Football Club History Group, hosts materials from Exeter City Football Club, the Supporters Trust, and a number of individuals who have generously contributed resources to it. The archive was subsequenly enriched during the HLF funded History of St James Park project (2016-7).

If you would like to attend it would help if you could please reply to this email or to*[email protected]
    Going along to this Women in Football film at SJP on Tuesday evening. Apparently the history group have unearthed plenty of historical events on this topic. It also takes in women at ECFC past and present including a well-known Exewebber and fanzine editor.
    Last edited by SomeSunnyDay; 28 February 2018 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeSunnyDay View Post
    a well-known Exewebber and fanzine editor.
    Without wanting to give anything away, it's not me.

Quote Originally Posted by LOG View Post
    Without wanting to give anything away, it's not me.

Tada ........

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    Its quite unbelievable how Cooper was the toast of the town following that promotion under him, and driven to the brink of a nervous breakdown towards the end of his second spell!
    That season in 1994/95 was also clouded with severe financial problems with the club going into administration,which must have made things very difficult for TC.

Suffice to say our only luck that season was we were not relegated to the Conference because Macclesfields ground was not up to FL scratch(Despite the Grecians playing at Moss Rose a couple of times when Chester groundshared until 1993 !)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    That season in 1994/95 was also clouded with severe financial problems with the club going into administration,which must have made things very difficult for TC.

Suffice to say our only luck that season was we were not relegated to the Conference because Macclesfields ground was not up to FL scratch(Despite the Grecians playing at Moss Rose a couple of times when Chester groundshared until 1993 !)
    I agree, It would have been almost impossible to get back into the league back then, since you had to be voted on by the member clubs, even if you finished top!

Pete I may be wrong but by the early 90s the principle of having to apply for re-election back to the old 4th Division had been scrapped. Bottom Club automatically relegated and the top team in the Conference or whatever it was called would be promoted in their place as long as their ground was up to the standard required by the FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    Pete I may be wrong but by the early 90s the principle of having to apply for re-election back to the old 4th Division had been scrapped. Bottom Club automatically relegated and the top team in the Conference or whatever it was called would be promoted in their place as long as their ground was up to the standard required by the FL.
    The last time re-election was used 1985/86..We finished 4th bottom & were re-elected with the maximum vote available.

1986/87 first season of automatic promotion from the then Vauxhall Conference.Scarborough replaced Lincoln City.

Ground criteria was tightened up for entering into the FL after 1990(after the Maidstone groundshare issue)

http://european-football-statistics....nclub/exec.htm

Found this site that shows our average attendances since the 1920s. Amazing that we averaged over 10,000 in the 50’s but averaged 1,900 in the mid-eighties. We must have been terrible back then...I watched my first game in the 88/89 season when things were starting to pick up under Cooper. He certainly did really well to build the team we had that won us Div4.

I started watching city at that time too so the attendance thing is interesting. In the 80s city had been dire and had many financial problems but for many, especially families, football was still tainted by hooliganism of the 60s and 70s but felt it was safe to attend by the late 80s, also a great time for city fans.

People tend to assume what's on the field is the biggest influence but often social factors are more important. Football was resurgent after both wars and the 50s was a golden age but by the early 60s people had a lot more choice over their free time due to increased prevalence of tv and cars. Ticket prices also started to rise in the 50s to capitalise on the popularity.
    Last edited by feverpitch; 04 March 2018 at 10:46.