• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Honesty is not the Best Policy.....

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have always been told "Honesty is the best policy" but for me it has well and truly not been the case, Recently i have wanted to change jobs, New year, New start sort of thing, Found something interesting, Applied and luckily have been chosen for an interview, Now the tricky bit to get the time off from my present employer, The interview is an all day thing with a panel, role play, that sort of thing, Friends at work said take a day off sick but me being me decided to go with the honest approach. Told my line manager and he refused me the time off saying it was inconvenient and i needed to change the date. I said i couldn't as this was the time and date and as the interviewee changing that day was not possible and out of my control, I said i don't expect to be paid or take it as holiday and i will be attending the interview. Still a total impasse so i went to my General Manager explained what's what and he said take the time off, Go to the interview, Asked why i was thinking of leaving, Told him my reasons and he wished me good luck.

About 30 minutes after that meeting my line manager called me into the office and said i was in breach of contract as i needed 3 weeks notice to get a day off and that going above his head was not on, I told him i wanted to attend the interview and he said i will never get anything from him again and he said "I hope you get the job" probably meaning ****** off!! Not sure what life will be like if i don't get the job but I've done it now and have to live with it.

So all in all Honesty seems not to be the best policy, So beware!!

Just looking for a new job myself, probably will give interview time as a doctor's appointment and see what happens

IndoMike

We have always been told "Honesty is the best policy" but for me it has well and truly not been the case, Recently i have wanted to change jobs, New year, New start sort of thing, Found something interesting, Applied and luckily have been chosen for an interview, Now the tricky bit to get the time off from my present employer, The interview is an all day thing with a panel, role play, that sort of thing, Friends at work said take a day off sick but me being me decided to go with the honest approach. Told my line manager and he refused me the time off saying it was inconvenient and i needed to change the date. I said i couldn't as this was the time and date and as the interviewee changing that day was not possible and out of my control, I said i don't expect to be paid or take it as holiday and i will be attending the interview. Still a total impasse so i went to my General Manager explained what's what and he said take the time off, Go to the interview, Asked why i was thinking of leaving, Told him my reasons and he wished me good luck.

About 30 minutes after that meeting my line manager called me into the office and said i was in breach of contract as i needed 3 weeks notice to get a day off and that going above his head was not on, I told him i wanted to attend the interview and he said i will never get anything from him again and he said "I hope you get the job" probably meaning ****** off!! Not sure what life will be like if i don't get the job but I've done it now and have to live with it.

So all in all Honesty seems not to be the best policy, So beware!!
It's not news, but since when has life been fair? And your line manager sounds a right ****.

elginCity

It's not news, but since when has life been fair? And your line manager sounds a right ****.
I do agree with you there.

Antony Moxey

I’d go above your line manager again to report him for bullying and generally being a c***. Middle management with a small step on the power ladder are the worst people at work who think the world will stop turning if they’re not there. He needs a reality check and taking down a peg or two, it’s not his company and won’t reflect on his performance.

Either bring up a grievance or call him out face to face on being a c***, or maybe even both. The thing not to do is let this pr*ck win because if you don’t get the job he’s not going to forget this in a hurry.

DB9

I’d go above your line manager again to report him for bullying and generally being a c***. Middle management with a small step on the power ladder are the worst people at work who think the world will stop turning if they’re not there. He needs a reality check and taking down a peg or two, it’s not his company and won’t reflect on his performance.

Either bring up a grievance or call him out face to face on being a c***, or maybe even both. The thing not to do is let this pr*ck win because if you don’t get the job he’s not going to forget this in a hurry.
I have written down all this and kept on my laptop. My General Manager is aware of this and i will have no problem in going to him if things deteriorate. All i did was to say i am attending an interview, Nothing else

Swanaldo

As I understand it, your current employer has to give you reasonable time off to search for a new job.

Edit: That may only apply if you've been given notice of redundancy.

Last edited:

DB9

As I understand it, your current employer has to give you reasonable time off to search for a new job.

Edit: That may only apply if you've been given notice of redundancy.
People have said to me "He can't do that" or "That's against the law" but tbh I've tried to find a definitive answer but it seems a muddy water answer. Only thing i can say is if a company are looking for people, After they've sorted who they want for an interview THEY choose the date and time not the people going for the interview. I don't think there are many employers who would wait at least three weeks for someone to attend a interview, Perhaps a month from say advertising it to a closing date but once that date has ended i would imagine many companies would need someone in place ASAP bearing in mind a lot of people have to give say a months notice to their employer after accepting any new job

Oldsmobile-88

I can’t offer any advice DB9,having been in the same job for 40 years until recently,but good luck & I hope you get the outcome you desire.

Avening Posse

No answers from me either DB9, but like others just wanted to wish you well on this, as your line manager is clearly a proper c__t