Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Sparkes

Re: Jack Sparkes

Yes Jack looks very promising but what’s the rush normally most of the fans would have never have seen
    Him play and lots would never have heard of him,if it wasn’t for Tisdale giving him a pro contract a full one year early.

Also how many L2 clubs are playing 17 year olds in there team apart from us ?

Well that's why some people are calling for him to play :cos he signed a pro contract and he's good. A few more appearances this season would not go amiss.

Can't hurt for him to be on the bench.

Why do so many doubt Tis with developing players? Grimes, Friend, Watkins etc.

How many players have we released who've gone on better than us? Frear at a long push is the only one I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by LDNGrecian View Post
    Why do so many doubt Tis with developing players? Grimes, Friend, Watkins etc.

How many players have we released who've gone on better than us? Frear at a long push is the only one I can think of.
    If I understood your post I might reply.

Suspect that making him our 1931 player raised expectations that we might see more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Monster View Post
    Yes Jack looks very promising but what’s the rush normally most of the fans would have never have seen
    Him play and lots would never have heard of him,if it wasn’t for Tisdale giving him a pro contract a full one year early.

Also how many L2 clubs are playing 17 year olds in there team apart from us ?
    It's important because in the nearly 50 years I've been watching football, i've seen so many young players in English football with flair and creativity who look like they're going to become the new Pele, Cruyff or Maradona, but who never quite seem to realise that potential as they develop. So i've often wondered if there''s a problem within coaching in this country, a perceived wisdom that results in these players getting their natural flair knocked out of them, before they have a chance to become the truly great players they once looked like they would.

So whilst i'm not suggesting Sparkes has that kind of potential, to some extent I do worry that he could become victim of what may be an overcautious approach to young talent in coaching in this country.
    Last edited by Red Bill; 14 January 2018 at 10:17.

Give the lad time. We as fans are far too impatient and after seeing a young lad put in a couple of decent performances are far too quick to label him the next Rooney/whoever and start clamouring for him to be a first team starter every week.

Given the number of youth players who’ve either gone on to have a decent career here or have moved on to bigger things for big money I don’t think we do too badly in nurturing our youngsters properly.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    If I understood your post I might reply.
    It’s fairly clear what he meant, Mike.

Tisdale, for his faults, has successfully developed some young players into key players which we’ve later sold on for big money. It took the likes of Nichols and Watkins to fully establish themselves but once they did they, they flourished.

Whereas there’s been very few of our youth that we’ve released and have since moved onto better things than ECFC. So, basically, we just need to wait and see with Sparkes. I’m sure he’s good enough, so hopefully he will take his chance when the time’s right.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Give the lad time. We as fans are far too impatient and after seeing a young lad put in a couple of decent performances are far too quick to label him the next Rooney/whoever and start clamouring for him to be a first team starter every week.

Given the number of youth players who’ve either gone on to have a decent career here or have moved on to bigger things for big money I don’t think we do too badly in nurturing our youngsters properly.
    If you look again at the OP, you'll see that I said straight away I wasn't expecting him to be a regular starter, but had hoped to see him making a few appearances from the bench, and from my last post you'll see that my worry that this is reflective of a general problem in coaching, not just at City.

It's interesting that you mention Rooney, as although he may have been the best England had for a while, he's one of those players that I believe never quite fulfilled his promise and i'd add players like Joe Cole to that list as well. I worry that we only see the negatives of putting talented youngsters in early and none of the positives of throwing them in and letting them show us what he can do.

It's been suggested that Sparkes as got a little full of himself and that's why he hasn't been selected. IMO a good way to test that would be to play off the bench a few times, if he's as good as he thinks he is we'll have a wonderful player who'll win us some games, if however the coaching staff are right, he'll be knocked back down to earth with a bump that will teach him a valuable lesson that will help him in his development.
    Last edited by Red Bill; 14 January 2018 at 11:17.