• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Very interesting article on Tisdale. "Must read".

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Paul Tisdale's talent factory: Second only to Arsene Wenger as England’s longest-serving manager and still battling to keep Exeter City afloat
By Ian Herbert For The Daily Mail
22:30 05 Jan 2018, updated 22:30 05 Jan 2018
Exeter City's manager Paul Tisdale remains dedicated to the club's cause
Tisdale is England's second longest-serving manager, behind Arsene Wenger
The 44-year-old have been with the League Two side since 2006
Exeter host Alan Pardew's West Brom in their FA Cup third-round tie on Saturday
He has been at Exeter, one of League Two’s remotest outposts, since before first light, leaving his home near Bath at 6.30am for the hour-and-a-half drive across to the Cat and Fiddle training ground which is named after a nearby pub.

Paul Tisdale has become hardwired to the same routine after a shade less than 12 years as Exeter City manager. Only Arsenal’s Arsene Wenger has been in charge for longer in the professional leagues.
Exeter City's manager Paul Tisdale remains dedicated to the League Two club's cause
‘I’m a little bit detached,’ says Tisdale. ‘I’ve not had my eye to the world of looking for a job, where everybody is after the next thing before they’ve got hold of the first thing.’

This man of supreme sartorial elegance and panache has sported tweed jackets, cravats, deerstalker hats: been there, worn it and got the Ted Baker T-shirt, as someone once memorably put it.

But what is even more striking is the picture he paints of how the targets become more sophisticated when you find the security which is now so pitifully elusive in football.
Tisdale is England's second longest-serving manager, behind Arsenal's Arsene Wenger

For a time, in 2006, when he had taken over an Exeter side marooned in the Conference, there was the usual survival and win-at-all-costs instinct. Then, with security, comes a capacity to buy more players for what they will yield Sunday, rather than on Saturday.

‘You can be more bullish in how you recruit,’ Tisdale says. ‘The primary aim starts to become the health of the club, then developing players to sell who become a major source of income. And then winning matches, which flows from that.’

The numbers tell the story. The 44-year-old has virtually a zero net spend on players and coaching staff across a tenure in which Exeter were once eighth in League One and been to Wembley twice.

The last 18 months have taught him that no one is immune from the profession’s usual ravages. His side started last season badly, were bottom of League Two in November 2016, and the supporters’ trust which owns the club told the board to serve notice on Tisdale’s rolling two-year contract: effectively telling him there was no guarantee he would be manager beyond this summer.

The 44-year-old, who has been with the Grecians since 2006, prepares his side for Saturday
It turned out to be a temporary struggle from which Tisdale navigated Exeter to a Wembley play-off final against Blackpool and three players reaped the club a financial dividend. Ollie Watkins left for Brentford for around £1.8million, winger David Wheeler to QPR for £500,000 and defender Ethan Ampadu to Chelsea, with an impending tribunal to rule on the fee.

The club have launched another promotion push this season, currently lying seventh, though Tisdale is running down his contract and it is hard to avoid the sense that the supporters’ vote cut him deeply.

‘At the time, the directive from the supporters was to ask the board to renegotiate the contract with me,’ he says. ‘It’s only going to be a contract on lesser terms. They knew as well as I did that wasn’t going to happen. Supporters at all clubs say they want a healthy club but when it comes down to it they all want to win
In a sense, management is about having the courage to prevail with a plan, when the supporters demand something else. ‘Say you’re one-nil down with 10 minutes to go,’ Tisdale explains in the highly acclaimed study of management, Living on the Volcano by Michael Calvin.

‘You’re desperately trying to get that goal, blocking the supporters out because they think about it for two hours every week and then they go home. You think about it 16 hours a day.’

But his outlook has changed since he found his job on the line those 18 months ago. ‘It becomes more about results,’ he says. ‘It has to be more short term.’

Saturday’s tie brings the same scope for a windfall that arrived with Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool, two years ago, when Exeter secured a 2-2 draw on an extraordinary Friday night at their St James Park ground, before losing at Anfield. ‘It was a muddy January day then and it’s going to be a muddy

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can we have the second half please?!

manc grecian

Boo hoo. At what poi t did we start to owe him a living? On behalf of everyone I apologise for disrupting your cushy existence.

IndoMike

Can we have the second half please?!
Interview abandoned. Muddy.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Correct me if I'm wrong but, contrary to what Tis suggests, my understanding was that the Trust demanded the club board should address the rolling nature of Tis' contract, there was no suggestion his salary would be reduced.

fred binneys head

He’s also forgetting that when the trust demanded his contract be renewed we were bottom of the league and a few months earlier had needed a loan from the PFA. Even though he has delivered a huge amount to us and I will genuinely always be grateful for that, I’m massively tiring of him.

IndoMike

Correct me if I'm wrong but, contrary to what Tis suggests, my understanding was that the Trust demanded the club board should address the rolling nature of Tis' contract, there was no suggestion his salary would be reduced.
I was also surprised by that comment. There's not a direct relationship between terminating the roller and having a lower salary. If Tis is making that public it begs the question "why?".

tavyred

Tisdale’s ego driven sense of entitlement finds another hapless journalist. Stay or go, just don’t bore us with the machinations until then.

Antony Moxey

I’m not sure if I’ve read it somewhere before, but isn’t Tisdale the second longest serving manager behind Arsene Wenger?

Echo Manc’s comments entirely - the nature of football is short term contracts so if you don’t like it the f*** off to Ted Baker. Even Wenger renegotiates his contract every couple of years so stop being such a cry baby and realise that that’s how football works, rather than the cost little do what you like and bugger the consequences bubble you’ve been living in for the past decade.

As a PS: supporters only think about for two hours whereas he thinks about 16 hours a day? F*** off you patronising ******, you do nothing of the sort, or haven’t until now, you do what you like with no consequences - it doesn’t take 16 hours a day to dream that sh*t up.

Last edited:

IndoMike

I’m not sure if I’ve read it somewhere before, but isn’t Tisdale the second longest serving manager behind Arsene Wenger?

Echo Manc’s comments entirely - the nature of football is short term contracts so if you don’t like it the f*** off to Ted Baker. Even Wenger renegotiates his contract every couple of years so stop being such a cry baby and realise that that’s how football works, rather than the cost little do what you like and bugger the consequences bubble you’ve been living in for the past decade.

As a PS: supporters only think about for two hours whereas he thinks about 16 hours a day? F*** off you patronising ******, you do nothing of the sort, or haven’t until now, you do what you like with no consequences - it doesn’t take 16 hours a day to dream that sh*t up.
Yes, it was repeated a couple of times the "Wenger" thingy. Maybe once as a subtitle for a photo which I could not copy. I've included the article reference for perusal.