Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

Quote Originally Posted by Slogger View Post
    JS might have scored which I suppose is ultimately his job but the other 85+ minutes he was a bloody waist of a start
    Just shows you, I thought he was terrific. Worked really hard and scored his goal which is what hes paid for. He won virtually everything in the air - not his fault he was isolated in the first half especially.
    Took a nasty knock getting stuck in.
    Hes been great so far this season.

Quote Originally Posted by eurogrecian View Post
    Just shows you, I thought he was terrific. Worked really hard and scored his goal which is what hes paid for. He won virtually everything in the air - not his fault he was isolated in the first half especially.
    Hes been great so far this season.
    Thankless task alone up front, certainly without midfield support throughout the first half, I too thought he played very well and was fully committed.

He wins headers but the ball goes anywhere. Wheeler was a master at winning headers and finding a player at the same time. Stockley also likes to boot straight up in the air which I don't understand. He did better than normal but I still like Reid's all round game more. I think Stockley has been quite a disruptive signing and has had an effect on the teams spirit. Before we were one unit, now we're a team of individuals.

Reid wasn't playing the same role, he had McAlinden alongside. Hoofing the ball to Stockley from our own half and hoping he can win the ball, control it, shield it until our plodding midfielders can get forward is too much to ask. Put in people like Macca, Holmes or Edwards, players that can get to the goal line and cross and we might see Stockley profiting from his strength and ability to attack the ball.

Saturday's team was a joke, even the decision to leave out Boateng, another player that can carry the ball forward from midfield, was inexplicable.

Quote Originally Posted by STURTZ View Post
    Saturday's team was a joke, even the decision to leave out Boateng, another player that can carry the ball forward from midfield, was inexplicable.
    Maybe playing a game 2 days before is the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by LDNGrecian View Post
    So did most of the other players, if squad rotation is the reason then squad rotation isn't working. What are we saving our best players for, the relegation battle?

Quote Originally Posted by LDNGrecian View Post
    Newport have played two games in three days. They made one change.

Just shows you, I thought he was terrific. Worked really hard and scored his goal which is what he’s paid for. He won virtually everything in the air - not his fault he was isolated in the first half especially.
    He’s been great so far this season.
    I saw if differently he lost a lot in the air or didn't get there as he is so slow! Obviously he won a fair few be to know avail they still came out with the ball, there is no direction in his play he's clumbsey as hell, but!! Like I said he's there to score goals which I would imagine is his saving grace, I would like to see him scoring against better opposition once in a while, he just doesn't do it for me. I think it soiled us a bit winning convincingly so often in those early games with a sharper strike force that's put me off him, I can't understand why the set up was change for no good resaon and now we are left wanting.

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at SJP

Didn't see him against Newport but thought he was poor against Barnet (Stockley) but he lacks support so it's hard to knock somebody who's competing for aimless long balls with no one around him for 20 yards

Just shows you, I thought he was terrific. Worked really hard and scored his goal which is what he’s paid for. He won virtually everything in the air - not his fault he was isolated in the first half especially.
    He’s been great so far this season.
    I agree with you. Thought he had a poor game at Yeovil until his goal but in this game he did a lot with what he got, bringing other players into the game well without a lot of time on the ball to do it.