Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 389

Thread: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

  1. #291
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    39,136

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CREDYGRECIAN View Post
    Managers going nowhere we're all aware of that - 9 defeats already mind this season the 2nd most in the top half of the table - the likelihood is we will get knocked out by WBA & January sees some tough league 2 fixtures

    Are we in reality really any further toward today than we was 5 years ago?
    Actually Creds I think we are. We may be indifferent on the pitch but today we’re in a position to do that and have the capacity to make decent signings rather than panic buys should Tisdale think it necessary. Also we don’t have to sell to the first manager to wave a bag of fivers under our nose, we’ll soon have a completed and up to date stadium, the training facilities are the envy of the division and the manager’s not tied to a rolling contract.

    I’d say we’re in a better position now pretty much everywhere on and off the pitch than we were five years ago.

  2. #292
    Pete Martin (CTID)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    9,846

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CREDYGRECIAN View Post
    Just seen the the goals and Pym has had a doomer with the 2nd....
    But saved a certain goal on several other occasions.

  3. #293

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Avondale (Near Phoenix) Arizona, USA.
    Posts
    15,791

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CREDYGRECIAN View Post
    Just seen the the goals and Pym has had a doomer with the 2nd....
    Nobody will want to talk about it CRED. Constructive criticism of Pym has become a taboo topic. He got across his goal so far for that shot, he could have headed the thing away! Yet again, a case of poor judgement. He over-dived, if thats possible!

  4. #294

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottery
    Posts
    2,419

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    Nobody will want to talk about it CRED. Constructive criticism of Pym has become a taboo topic. He got across his goal so far for that shot, he could have headed the thing away! Yet again, a case of poor judgement. He over-dived, if thats possible!
    Possibly he could have done better. However, the issue was the midfield player losing his bearings (Tilson?) allowing their player a run on goal with acres of space to pick his spot - that player was the most culpable and the main reason for the goal (imo).

  5. #295

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottery
    Posts
    2,419

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonz Red E View Post
    2 points off 3rd place with a game in hand. Third round of the FA cup. Youth team topping their league and looking good in the Premier U21 Cup. 17 home wins and 100 goals in the last calendar year. Money in the bank and more to come. Still a strong squad for the last 4 months of the season (or did the season end today and nobody told me about it?).

    The worst season since I started supporting the club.
    A Reality check when one was needed. Today's starting line up clearly wasn't the one most of us would have started with. However, there could well be a myriad of reasons why in terms of illness, injury or plain fatigue as to why we started with what we did. However, lets balance some short term disappointment with the larger picture that both Spoonz and Ant Moxey have pointed out. A developed stadium, a training ground far removed from anything available for both the 1st team and thriving academy. Two players in 12 months sold/about to be sold for record amounts. A solvent club and it appears potentially one or two more players attracting bids from other clubs. Whilst I like numerous others have been critical of our Manager (notably over 4 years of home 'form') he has developed the players that have been or are about to be sold. It didn't just happen by accident. Promotion may or may not happen this season but only a fool wont recognise that we are streets ahead of where the club was and where it is today.

  6. #296

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    303

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Actually Creds I think we are. We may be indifferent on the pitch but today we’re in a position to do that and have the capacity to make decent signings rather than panic buys should Tisdale think it necessary. Also we don’t have to sell to the first manager to wave a bag of fivers under our nose, we’ll soon have a completed and up to date stadium, the training facilities are the envy of the division and the manager’s not tied to a rolling contract.

    I’d say we’re in a better position now pretty much everywhere on and off the pitch than we were five years ago.
    The manager's no signed to a rolling contract ? Is that a measure of our success? We aren't getting seen off as badly as we were? How many cubs other clubs have allowed this manager on a 2 year rolling contract in the first place?

    As for the stadium, we have merely updated it way later than it should have been. There cant be many other clubs who's stadium developments have lagged further behind ours. Up until just last season our away facilities have been pretty much seen as the worst in the entire league - We're only updating now because we have to and because there was an away end going cheap.

    Yes we have made signings that we are thankful for , do we really know what was negotiated?? I wish we were a club that these players could see , even , a short-term future with. We may nit have accept the first offer for them ( not that I think we ever did) but the kids cant get away from here quick enough once the football world is aware of their talent.

    Credy is 100% right..How can we be in a better position now than we were 5 years and if we haven't moved on in the league? Now if, in another 4-5 years , we are sitting pretty as an established league 1 team we can then say things have moved forward but it wont happen..

    Out of nowhere we started performing well in nov '16. Then pretty much out of nowhere 12 months later we did a complete 180 and are somehow back toplaying sunday league hoofball. We are back to where we were !! Tisdale personified arrogance in the way that he insisted to the reporter at Newport that we will succeed if we continue to play like we did in the second half. Really?? Ummm somehow I don't think so ..

    Some of you guys may manipulate things to make it look like we are better positioned than we are but we are no longer in first or second place, playing good football. We have slid to 7th in the league and are only just scraping last minute wins against basement teams at home and losing to everyone away. And the only reason we are still 7th is because we had an amazing start.

    Before when I said that I couldn't understand how were still third, playing and losing the way we were, someone said "but we're still 3rd"...We're not now though are we? And we wont be 7th in a months time , the way things are going..

    So better position absolutely no.. same ? Prob yes. This is the norm and it will go on & on..
    Last edited by Red faced; 01 January 2018 at 22:37. Reason: factual

  7. #297

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    I didn't attend the Barnet game however the general view appeared to be that Matt Jay did quite well, roll on 48 hours and he's not even in the squad, this is something Tisdale has done on numerous occasions, how on earth can it build the confidence of a player ?

    I'm not saying Jay is a great player who should be playing regularly however Tisdale picked him on Sat, he plays relatively well and he's dropped from the squad completely, does this happen at any other league club ?
    Last edited by The Proper Chap; 01 January 2018 at 22:48.

  8. #298
    ramone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !
    Posts
    3,436

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Red faced View Post
    As for the stadium, we have merely updated it way later than it should have been. There cant be many other clubs who's stadium developments have lagged further behind ours. Up until just last season our away facilities have been pretty much seen as the worst in the entire league - We're only updating now because we have to and because there was an away end going cheap.
    Just to pick up on this bit for now .... Take a look at Yeovil , Cheltenham , Luton , Didn't that lot down the road have a stand condemned ? there are quite a few away ends that were in as bad if not worse conditions than the OG and away end at ours tbh.

  9. #299

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottery
    Posts
    2,419

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Proper Chap View Post
    I didn't attend the Barnet game however the general view appeared to be that Matt Jay did quite well, roll on 48 hours and he's not even in the squad, this is something Tisdale has done on numerous occasions, how on earth can it build the confidence of a player ?

    I'm not saying Jay is a great player who should be playing regularly however Tisdale picked him on Sat, he plays relatively well and he's dropped from the squad completely, does this happen at any other league club ?
    Sickness bug supposedly

  10. #300

    Re: Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffwp View Post
    Never took you for an arrogant type. You don't speak for me so you don't speak for all life long supporters.
    geoff anyone who knows me personally will also know I am anything but arrogant. I do though hold strong views but recognise that in this case I went too far with my poetic license and would accept that it was illogical to suggest that all “long term supporters” wanted to see the back of Tisdale.

    In continuing my dialogue with Anthony and others, whilst I realise now that I did not make it clear at the time, I was referring to the downside as I perceive it to our ownership model and the fact that once individuals are ensconced in their positions if someone, regardless of whatever they have achieved earlier, is no longer achieving there is little we as supporters can do to change things.

    Anyway that said Happy New Year to all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •