• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

An Idea

Leads

I went to watch Birmingham v Leeds yesterday and during H/T they had a supporters’ memorial “roll of honour” where the match day announcer read out the names of every Bham fan that has died during the year. I have no idea how widespread this practice is and if they have done it before, but it was very well received. In the post Bradley Lowery world and as Football turns increasingly into a memorial service interupted occasionally by the actual game, I would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on this as a mechanism for “showing respect” as opposed to minutes applaudes arranged throughout the season in which 99% of the people won’t know who they are clapping? Despite the tone of my post and being uncomfortable in the direction in which fandom is heading, as mentioned it was very well received and it might be nice for the family/friends of the deseaced who might also be City fans?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I went to watch Birmingham v Leeds yesterday and during H/T they had a supporters’ memorial “roll of honour” where the match day announcer read out the names of every Bham fan that has died during the year. I have no idea how widespread this practice is and if they have done it before, but it was very well received. In the post Bradley Lowery world and as Football turns increasingly into a memorial service interupted occasionally by the actual game, I would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on this as a mechanism for “showing respect” as opposed to minutes applaudes arranged throughout the season in which 99% of the people won’t know who they are clapping? Despite the tone of my post and being uncomfortable in the direction in which fandom is heading, as mentioned it was very well received and it might be nice for the family/friends of the deseaced who might also be City fans?
Very mixed feelings about this whole initiative whether applause mid match or as Birmingham City appear to have done. I suppose the question to be asked is how the people left behind feel.

Today we tend to talk about the football family but just how far should we be taking this I am not sure. When I think back over the years losing both my Mum and Dad in the late 1990s both of whom had supported the Club since the mid 1930s am really not sure whether it would have meant that much to me.

My preference is a lasting tribute such as the bricks at St James Park (at the time I bought three one for myself and both Mum and Dad) or a mention in the program.

Also realise whilst Birmingham City is a reasonable size Club how practical would this be for the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea or in truth virtually all the Prem Clubs?

Rog H K

I think ECFC are very good at remembering lost Grecians. Whether it be a mention in the programme, tannoy announcement, web or social media, or fans applause we do pay respect close to the passing when known.