Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Exeter City v Barnet Matchday Thread

Re: Exeter City v Barnet Matchday Thread

We made hard work of that. We should have had better control of the game and won it quite easily. Instead we give away a free kick, quite rightly and I'll tell you why. It happens week in, week out and week in, week out it goes unpunished. The defender stands across the attacker and blocks the attackers path to the back pass/ball through. It is obstruction. The defender is under no control of the ball. The only thing he is attempting to play is the attacker. It wasn't soft and should be done every time but very, very rarely does. Scrat got caught, it was unfortunate it happen to be us but it was the correct decision.
    As for the goal itself, Pym is lucky matey has hit it so sweetly and got him out of jail because it makes him look like he didn't have a chance in hell. If he hadn't got hold of it quite so well, he still would have scored. Why? Because Pym is stood to far to his right and would have left himself too much to do to get back across. I won't even get started on his goal kicks in the first half. Yes he might be being told to play the ball out their but when the first one gets taken out by the wind, use a bit of common sense and adjust for it.
    I feel sorry for Stockley. He's getting hung out to dry by the referee and he's getting hung out to dry by Tis playing Holmes and Taylor on their wrong sides. He gets clobbered by the referee every time he breathes on a defender yet the defenders are allowed to get away with GBH on him. With Holmes and Taylor on their wrong sides any kind of momentum a City attack might have is lost every time because they are both, especially Taylor, cutting back on to their stronger foot to get a cross in and Stockley ends having to jump with a standing start rather than being able to attack the ball, not that a cross came in very often for him to compete with.
    Matt Jay gave a buzz of energy working around Stockley that McAlinden hasn't been for a while and would do well to pick up again. Unfortunately for Jay he doesn't possess much of a physical presence. If he were the same size as McAlinden he would have had Barnet back four panicking every time they got the ball. As it is, he needs to find a way to make his physical presence felt without being seen to be over zealous. If he isn't seen to be trying to look after himself by referees they'll just dismiss him as being to small and easy to knock over, such as the possible penalty in front of The Big Bank (had it been a bigger player you might have seen us get a spot kick for it, we've all seen them given). Another day would have seen him get the goal his work rate deserved.
    I thought Boateng was quiet today and certainly didn't have the influence that he has in previous games I've seen him play. I'm glad for Kane Wilson to get his first goal. It's always nice to get your first goal at whatever level of the game you play. At the end of the day, we kept going to the death and eventually dug out three points for it. When May comes along days like today will make the difference.

PS, agree with Credy (miracles happen around Christmas time) about Campbell-Rice.
    Last edited by grecIAN Harris; 30 December 2017 at 18:48.

Quote Originally Posted by CREDYGRECIAN View Post
    A win is a win.

But that was dreadful to watch - Barnet 20th in the league out passed us the entire game..
    yes their approach work was aided by the loose defensive posture we held

Campbell-Rice was playing on a different level to everyone else sadly his team mates for him aren't on the same football wavelength as him.
    Fortunately for us !

For City the young lad up-top despite woeful service worked hard & Boateng also....

Hoof....how many aimless balls up to Stockley who was feeding off scraps, The full backs and centre halfs (Moore-Taylor) apart don't even look up before playing it long....

predictably so for the last several games wake up Tis

Harley is as powder-puff as always dodging tackles in the middle of the park.

yup get rid last season

John Akinde and Seaborne had a decent Battle...Seaborne please bring back the skin head as that Barnet is a wingers hair cut...

Also - what a bloody free kick from there no7 - you don't save those.

I agree unstoppable

Watch the haters roll in - just how I viewed it.
    Hear - Hear old chap
    Last edited by hardi2b; 30 December 2017 at 18:50.

Mr T’s 600th game in charge apparently and City’s 100th goal in 2017, congrats.
    Pym is off to pastures new according to social media and Paul Jones is training with the club, Maybe he’s been watching Jones kicking at C&F!

I thought Matt Jay was poor, lots of darting around with little influence on the game. He also had 2 really good chances to score and missed both. He'll be released come the end of season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle View Post
    Pym is off to pastures new according to social media and Paul Jones is training with the club, Maybe he’s been watching Jones kicking at C&F!
    Facebook waffle.

Sadly I do agree. At one time he was ahead of Ollie Watkins at the club and given a two year contract to Ollie's one. Would love to be proved wrong but can't se it happening. His size is a disadvantage (but can be overcome!).

I don't get to see many games but whenever back in the UK I can't wait wait to City play and win, lose or draw come away feeling optimistic for the season, but not today.

When did we become a long ball team? Its never pretty to watch but playing that system against two 6' 5" centre backs is simply poor, for two thirds of the game the team second from bottom of the entire football league played the better football.

For what it is worth my player observations include Moxey really struggling against their winger, goodness knows why he's playing for Barnet, Seaborne was poor gave the freekick away for their goal with a Sunday league foul, Jay loved his effort and commitment but he's always going to struggle against strong, physical defenders for obvious reasons, Pym good shot stopper but his kicking is atrocious, and time and time never found a City player.

We have some greater footballers at our club and I can't understand why/when we moved to a route one style of play, its awful to watch. I salute all the City fans who go to SJP every other week as if based on today that is our current tactics and approach to winning a football match then you have my sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle View Post
    His record in all competitive games is P600, W228, D155, L217, F829, A822

My take on today's game:

City were desperately poor at the back. Seaborne looked shaky from the start. And the gap between Seaborne and JMT was massive at times, meaning anyone who ran at our defence had a clear sight of goal/a clear through-ball to play. A team like Luton or Blackpool from last season would have scored at least 4 against us today.

Boateng and Stockley had some bright moments. Seems they both genuinely want the ball whereas others, notably Tilson, would rather 'look busy' than receive it in tight areas. Tilson made about 1 tackle and 1 interception today. Other than that I don't recall him affecting the game even remotely.

This system of having inverted wingers (left-footed Holmes on the right; right-footed Taylor on the left) relies on us committing full-backs forward to make overlapping runs. I think this only happened once today, leaving us very short of width, lumping long ball after long ball through the middle. Edwards has been used too sparingly this season in my opinion. We have very few players in the squad who enjoy hugging the touchline and he gives us a different option when we look sluggish in attack.

Matty Jay tried hard but missed some gilt-edged chances. If we hadn't snatched it at the death he and McAlinden would not be sleeping well at all tonight. On the balance of chances it probably should have finished 4-4. Both defences were there for the taking.
    Last edited by jrg333; 30 December 2017 at 19:30.

Just about shaded that on chance although I expect Barnet will feel disappointed to go home empty handed they were a difficult opponent who always looked capable of scoring...Matt Jay did really well I thought diid everything except put the ball in the net which would have seen him go home with the match ball...Kane Wilson what a player he is so strong defensively and great going forward so much better than Sweeney at RB it has to be said, Holmes so influential too and showed his class again today with some quality passing I even thought that he scored the first anyway he played very well....3 valuable points today which we need to get again at Newport looking at the table tonight.