• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport pitch prediction

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
A heavy, boggy pitch obviously doesn’t suit a team that wants to play football on the deck. That’s obvious. If you’re lumping it forward to stockley and trying to make the ball ‘stick’ in the final third then it could be advantageous.
Or you adapt to the conditions accordingly , some days you go long , others you shorten it on the deck - hence why we've been in league 2 for 5 years since relegation.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Monsoon in crediton........

DaveE

Tomorrow is forecast to be dry. It should be fine.
Well I hope you're right, but the BBC are saying rain during the afternoon and I currently have a water feature in my garden which I never built or intended. I can't see us completing a game tomorrow.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
tomorrow will be off. its rained all night in Exeter, at times it was torrential.

A pile up of fixtures looks to be on the horizon, particularly if Newport is off as well.

muppetdodger

That’s just scaremongering. Prior to the FGR game it had been raining in Exeter for pretty much 24 hours. The drainage backed up and the water settled on top of the pitch. Tomorrow is forecast to be dry. It should be fine.
I take your point about the boxing day rain and filling the drainage, but today looks terrible with heavy rain forecast for 4-6 hours tonight, followed by heavy rain after 3 tomorrow. Not seen one forecast predicting a dry day tomorrow. What will be will be, but my point was that Rodney Parade on News Years day will look like a carpet compared to SJP at the moment, so not sure why the OP is saying Newports pitch will be a mess.

paperclip

Nonsense. Our pitch is fine, it was a freak on Boxing Day that would have been tough for most pitches in League Two.

I have no worries about tomorrow.
Having seen what’s come down overnight, and noting the 6mm of rain that’s forecast for overnight tonight (with more then predicted for Saturday afternoon) I have every worry for tomorrow’s game.

IndoMike

At least we're solvent now : a couple of years ago we'd be struggling if we lost 1 (or 2) home games in a row due to weather.

hardi2b

perhaps Newport have the foresight to employ some form of cover to protect the pitch ?

denzel

Having seen what’s come down overnight, and noting the 6mm of rain that’s forecast for overnight tonight (with more then predicted for Saturday afternoon) I have every worry for tomorrow’s game.
6mm isn't a lot and the Met Office don't anticipate it raining until 4pm tomorrow. We need to stop panicking.

Grecian2K

6mm isn't a lot and the Met Office don't anticipate it raining until 4pm tomorrow. We need to stop panicking.
But, as Dr David (from our very own branch of the Wet Office) has already measured for us there was "only" 9mm prior to Boxing Day, plus equivalent inundation in the last 24hrs. Even that is an impressive amount of precipitation over such short periods.*

* Incidentally DrD I do actually have to query those remarkably consistent "9mm" measures. Both, sure as heck, felt a lot more to me. Are you sure your pluviometer does not have serious leakage round about the 10mm mark?