• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport pitch prediction

Unless there have been any late changes there are two rugby matches scheduled to take place at Rodney Parade on the 30th and 31st December-one team being Newport RFC and the other the Gwent Dragons. Can't imagine they will worry about churning up the pitch so that it starts to resemble a poorly ploughed field.
The pitch tends to be on the heavy side anyway-just confirms that pitch sharing with the rugby fraternity never seems to work out. Presumably the FA don't talk to the rugby bods regarding fixture compatibility or perhaps Newport County have said something and have been told "tough". This sort of thing might be Ok in late April but is a complete nonsense in deepest December---.
Someone is clearly not on the ball or is taking the proverbial!
Don't like to be negative-have a ticket but rather hoping the weather makes the decision for us.

muppetdodger

Their pitch, having been relaid, is going to be far better than ours. Can't see the barnet game being played, and then it depends on the weather between then and FA Cup day as to whether the WBA game is played. And we don't even groundshare with rugby!!

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unless there have been any late changes there are two rugby matches scheduled to take place at Rodney Parade on the 30th and 31st December-one team being Newport RFC and the other the Gwent Dragons. Can't imagine they will worry about churning up the pitch so that it starts to resemble a poorly ploughed field.
The pitch tends to be on the heavy side anyway-just confirms that pitch sharing with the rugby fraternity never seems to work out. Presumably the FA don't talk to the rugby bods regarding fixture compatibility or perhaps Newport County have said something and have been told "tough". This sort of thing might be Ok in late April but is a complete nonsense in deepest December---.
Someone is clearly not on the ball or is taking the proverbial!
Don't like to be negative-have a ticket but rather hoping the weather makes the decision for us.
The Dragons played on it during a monsoon on Boxing Day and it looked perfect. WRU financed a relaying of the pitch In the Summer and it seems to have done the trick. Perhaps we could learn from them how to solve the problems with ours...

denzel

Their pitch, having been relaid, is going to be far better than ours. Can't see the barnet game being played, and then it depends on the weather between then and FA Cup day as to whether the WBA game is played. And we don't even groundshare with rugby!!
Nonsense. Our pitch is fine, it was a freak on Boxing Day that would have been tough for most pitches in League Two.

I have no worries about tomorrow.

Steve Moran3

I’ve thought our pitch hasn’t looked great recently with what looks like small areas with less grass - and small hollows/divots. I guess you get what you pay for and we have limited resources. On the rugby sharing point Bristol City share with the rugby club and their pitch is immaculate. My lad played on it recently and I went on it and it’s like a bowling green. I think theirs is some state of the art semi weave thing - grass and synthetic that presumably cost an arm and a leg. So it can be done but maybe not with L2 resources.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The pitch is what it is.

Same for both sides

Best win on the day adapts.

Boyo

I’ve thought our pitch hasn’t looked great recently with what looks like small areas with less grass - and small hollows/divots. I guess you get what you pay for and we have limited resources. On the rugby sharing point Bristol City share with the rugby club and their pitch is immaculate. My lad played on it recently and I went on it and it’s like a bowling green. I think theirs is some state of the art semi weave thing - grass and synthetic that presumably cost an arm and a leg. So it can be done but maybe not with L2 resources.
Argyle have synthetic grass weaved through their pitch. That cost half a million quid. Of course they went into administration and only actually paid a fraction of that amount.

Boyo

The pitch is what it is.

Same for both sides

Best win on the day adapts.
A heavy, boggy pitch obviously doesn’t suit a team that wants to play football on the deck. That’s obvious. If you’re lumping it forward to stockley and trying to make the ball ‘stick’ in the final third then it could be advantageous.

Colesman Ballz

Argyle have synthetic grass weaved through their pitch. That cost half a million quid. Of course they went into administration and only actually paid a fraction of that amount.
And they still had problems with algae ! :)

Boyo

That’s just scaremongering. Prior to the FGR game it had been raining in Exeter for pretty much 24 hours. The drainage backed up and the water settled on top of the pitch. Tomorrow is forecast to be dry. It should be fine.