Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newport pitch prediction

Re: Newport pitch prediction

Quote Originally Posted by hardi2b View Post
    perhaps Newport have the foresight to employ some form of cover to protect the pitch ?
    Can you name any football club that protects its pitch from the rain by using covers?
    Last edited by Matt Russell; 29 December 2017 at 20:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Russell View Post
    Can you name any football club that protects its pitch from the rain by using covers?
    Google Stuart Canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by RebornKirtonRed View Post
    Google Stuart Canvas.
    I just have. No idea of prices but if we get anywhere near the 3 million everyone says is nailed on for Amps I would go for it. It says that they have done work for Premiership and Championship clubs so it's obviously pricey, but worth it if it protects the pitch. I really don't understand (I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere) Tis' comment that "at Exeter we have an old fashioned pitch". I thought we spent close to 250,000 five or six years ago to improve drainage and to base the pitch in sand, not earth, as it had always been? There was the talk of legal action at the time because it had been done so poorly. I can't understand why something so important is so far down the spending list?

How's storm Dylan faring over South Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by RebornKirtonRed View Post
    Google Stuart Canvas.
    Interesting, and thanks for the info.
    Guessing though that there needs to be a wide enough area for any run-off to drain to soak aways?
    Also the cost of an abandoned game (and how often the problem occurs) to be set against the cost of covers.

I think that the lack of a run off for the water is one reason why covers are not deployed at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Russell View Post
    Interesting, and thanks for the info.
    Guessing though that there needs to be a wide enough area for any run-off to drain to soak aways?
    Also the cost of an abandoned game (and how often the problem occurs) to be set against the cost of covers.
    Not sure whether pitch covers would have helped on Tuesday, it was the amount of rain that fell after any covers would have been removed that did for us.

I'm not an expert but would think that it is rarely cost effective to take pre-emptive measures against extreme weather events in England, except perhaps in places like Cumbria and even then (as Carlisle United know only too well) the really extreme events are beyond protective measures. Although Councils talk about "resilience" they rarely spend significant sums on this, as the cost-benefit analysis seems to be generally against. I suspect what exceptions like Somerset a few years ago show is that significant money is spent only when it gets politically difficult. Regular and routine relatively low-cost maintenance is usually the best option, but as I understand it this didn't happen at ECFC this summer because of the redevelopment.

If we get the expected sum from the Ampadu tribunal I guess the Club will consider spending some of it on the pitch, but there will doubtless be other competing claims especially replacing the buildings at the training ground.

We do have covers for freezing weather, but I cannot remember last time they were needed. We got the game v. Sheffield Wednesday on some years ago, but the real problem is generally safety on the terraces and footways rather than the pitch? I suspect undersoil heating is not currently a priority at SJP.

Boxing day weather was exceptional and i think it's the first time since pitch renewal that we have an abandonment due to rain.
    I'd hazard a guess that the main reason Premiership & Championship clubs deploy them is due to television and to keep an already dry pitch dry - higher stakes if the game doesn't happen.

As Clive Pring has mentioned our sand slits drainage are mostly adequate but couldn't cope with the Boxing Day downfall.
    This link of an interview with Clive Pring was posted earlier elsewhere. https://en-gb.facebook.com/ExeterCit...2526998634790/
    A summary of some of Clive's points, courtesy of one of our volunteers Al:
    "When it rains the water works it way down through to the sand drainage channels, and from there into a pipe network system, and from there to a settlement tank which is underground near the away end, it is then released into the council network via a 4" diameter pipe so it does not overwhelm the drainage network and flood the lower St James area..."

In light of the last part of Al's quote, Hants_red's point is also valid in that we'd still need suitable drainage set up to cope with the run off from a rain cover - I'm not sure we have that at the moment.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

TBH with the best will in the world it was more the amount of rain in the previous 24 hrs that did the damage , the fact then it poured down beforehand just filled up an already sodden pitch.

There would have had to been about 1 ft trench right round the pitch to clear the excess that particular day.

If covers were used then the water on top would still have to go somewhere and as they were removed it would have gone back onto the pitch unless it was pumped right out of the ground, would undersoil heating do anything to clear water ? I suspect not.

Egg chasers live on S4C right now if you want to see how the pitch is.