Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Exeter City vs Forest Green Rovers matchday thread

Re: Exeter City vs Forest Green Rovers matchday thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle View Post
    Just luuv the spelling of Cullompton..
    It was actually spelt Collumpton at one time, and many other variations.The railway station sign said*Collumpton for many years.A road sign just outside Broadclyst had it spelt this way until the 80s. It takes it's name from Saint Columba.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog H K View Post
    It was actually spelt Collumpton at one time, and many other variations.The railway station sign said*Collumpton for many years.A road sign just outside Broadclyst had it spelt this way until the 80s. It takes it's name from Saint Columba.
    Bloody hell Rog, I thought you only put people right on the MTC facebook page? UTT and C of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog H K View Post
    Too true. In t'owd days people were not so obsessed with spelling as we are now. People who were barely literate tended to spell words as the sounded. I have seen many variations on 18th and 19th century maps and documents in my research. Barnstaple was often spelt Barnstable, Ilfracombe as Ifarcomb, etc. One example that made me smile was "sentry box" spelt as "century box" in the 1860s by an educated man.

However I think the St Columba derivation far fetched; "Town on the Culm" is more logical.

Is it a possibility that we're waiting until after Saturday before rearranging this? All i was thinking was that as there's a (perhaps slim) chance a replay would be needed, that would take priority over a rearranged league match which could be played at any time really.

Quote Originally Posted by LOG View Post
    Is it a possibility that we're waiting until after Saturday before rearranging this? All i was thinking was that as there's a (perhaps slim) chance a replay would be needed, that would take priority over a rearranged league match which could be played at any time really.
    Probably.FGR are also still involved in the Checktrade Trophy bull5hite,& I expect that will be deamed by the EFL as trumping a league fixture.

I believe the ruling now is the game should be rearranged on the 1st mutial convenient date.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile-88; 02 January 2018 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    Probably.FGR are also still involved in the Checktrade Trophy bull5hite,& I expect that will be deamed by the EFL as trumping a league fixture.

I believe the ruling now is the game should be rearranged on the 1st mutial convenient date.
    Sheffield Wednesday 2:0 up against Carlise

Any hope of rearranging it for the 27 January seem to have gone.