Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Exeter City vs Forest Green Rovers matchday thread

Re: Exeter City vs Forest Green Rovers matchday thread

Don't quite understand why the groundstaff didn't address that corner before the ref can back out for his h/t inspection. It was still ****ing down though and can understand why the ref didn't want to take the risk of having to abandon it later on.

Notwithstanding all the disappointment, the weather and the fact that I thought the referee made the right decision to abandon at half what we saw on the pitch today from City was hardly a convincing endorsement of the beautiful game. The defence looked unsure and shaky, and Stockley looked a forlorn figure for most of the 45 minutes played. At the moment, whatever choice of players is being made there seems to be little cohesion and sometimes little communication between the players. Yes we 'scored' a couple of goals, but when they ran at us the defence looked woefully short of pace and confidence. Somewhere in the squad we've got there's a reasonable starting eleven, but at the moment it doesn't seem as if they're being deployed and we're unable to put away chances that we're creating. I'd expect the Barnet game to be as predictably dull as today's was turning out to be unless the ills that I perceive at the moment are sorted out.
    Last edited by David Treharne; 26 December 2017 at 18:05. Reason: Rectification of stray punctuation

Does me smock go well with Lionelís merkin ?

Quote Originally Posted by manc grecian View Post
    Don't quite understand why the groundstaff didn't address that corner before the ref can back out for his h/t inspection. It was still ****ing down though and can understand why the ref didn't want to take the risk of having to abandon it later on.
    Yep they were using the mini blotters on the OG side of the BB goal when it was clear the ref was mostly concerned with the area in the corner of the BB/IP stands. In addition the water was being dumped back on the pitch by the mini blotters rather than off it. All that said, the radar at half time told us that it would carry on raining heavily so I think the ref had no real choice but to call it off.

Quote Originally Posted by David Treharne View Post
    Notwithstanding all the disappointment, the weather and the fact that I thought the referee made the right decision to abandon at half what we saw on the pitch today from City was hardly a convincing endorsement of the beautiful game. The defence looked unsure and shaky, and Stockley looked a forlorn figure for most of the 45 minutes played. At the moment, whatever choice of players is being made there seems to be little cohesion and sometimes little communication between the players. Yes we 'scored' a couple of goals, but when they ran at us the defence looked woefully short of pace and confidence. Somewhere in the squad we've got there's a reasonable starting eleven, but at the moment it doesn't seem as if they're being deployed and we're unable to put away chances that we're creating. I'd expect the Barnet game to be as predictably dull as today's was turning out to be unless the ills that I perceive at the moment are sorted out.
    As I mentioned earlier, we started a match against the bottom team with 6 defenders, 4 midfielders, and one striker. In my opinion Tisdale squeezes all enjoyment out of the game (and maybe the players' enjoyment too) with his overcautious approach. Don't think he will ever change this approach. The end result seems to be all enthusiasm and vitality is squashed.

Quote Originally Posted by grecIAN Harris View Post
    I reckon if Brett Huxtable had waited long enough to get the squeegee things to come over and clear that one little patch (about two yards square) where he threw the ball and the ball died the game could probably have still carried on or at least been given a chance to carry on. He'd made his mind up on 42 minutes that it was going to get abandoned come what may. I expect that Looby or RaWZ, who know him personally, might come on and say he's nice bloke but as a referee, from my own experience when he's refereed me earlier in his career, he is an arrogant to$$er and wouldn't have held any kind of discussion with either set of players and management staff to see how they felt about it. His mind was made up and that was it.
    You make it sound like there was a damp patch on a cricket outfield on a summers day..there was also a 20 square meter area in front of the dugouts near the half way line with lying water gathering all over it with the rain continuing to p*ss down.

Quote Originally Posted by thermopylai View Post
    Just back (to hotel) and [email protected] annoyed. When you travel the best part of a thousand miles for a game (well, Xmas with the family, but you know what I mean) then itís effin annoying. Appears to be some reaction against Pete here for complaining, but as a fellow expat IĎll take his side here. Back in my day (i.e. St Albans away) we battled through the rain and relied on Deano to score a late winner. Now a few drops and itís all over. The ball doesnĎt bounce? With the hoofball both sides were playing, it hardly matters...
    There wasn't a lot of hoofing, the ball was getting stuck already and with another half to go would have been unplayable.

Understand you being upset but I think it was the right decision and so did Tis.

The club has done the right thing too in its admissions policy even though that will cost them/ us a few quid.

But.. 4100?? Really??????

Does me smock go well with Lionelís merkin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devon View Post
    You make it sound like there was a damp patch on a cricket outfield on a summers day..there was also a 20 square meter area in front of the dugouts near the half way line with lying water gathering all over it with the rain continuing to p*ss down.
    Two patches that I saw from Block J that were developing right from the kick off. Matey with the fork was fighting a losing battle with these at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devon View Post
    It certainly wasn't but you could see the immeadiate impact of the rollers as soon as they went across the pitch that may have tidied things up sufficiently if given the chance but as I said, Huxtable had made his mind up regardless and sounds like it had been made up before kick off.

Looking at a video of the state of the pitch some 30 minutes after the abandonment then the decision was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    Two patches that I saw from Block J that were developing right from the kick off. Matey with the fork was fighting a losing battle with these at half time.
    Was it a table fork?