Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria Inn

Re: Victoria Inn

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    All these other options do of course take business away from Exeter Citys on site facilities on matchdays. I take it thats okay?
    Perfectly fine with me. I know lots of Landords that have sponsored the club in various ways or come to the ground via hospitality or through the gates putting monies in the Club. They get a boost on matchdays and you can't put 3000 people's all in the Centre Spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    It was the Mount Edgecombe one of the few places around the city I never drank in (hiccup)

But you know where im coming from with the bloody tea n coffee brigade , you know if you in a bit of a rush for a pre match pint the git stood in front of you is going to order 4 chocolatta skinny vegan gluton free latte's that take 25 minutes to make because the other barman is down in the cellar changing a barrel. A good barman can pull 3 pints do 3 shorts a bag of scratchings a pickled egg and tell you how much to pay by the time the first pint on the pump is ready to be topped off !
    Actually, the Edgerton Park Hotel. Did a lot of quaffing there with George Willis and some of the other old ex-players like Billy Dunlop.

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    Actually, the Edgerton Park Hotel. Did a lot of quaffing there with George Willis and some of the other old ex-players like Billy Dunlop.
    Is that George, who used to play for Wolves and ran the Ewe Bar at the Uni?

It's a shame it's painted black because it's not exactly the most welcoming that's for sure! I'm still working out whether popping in after work, on my own, for a pint or two is socially acceptable or not..

Nice to see they will have Sky Sports in a couple weeks though!

Quote Originally Posted by The Proper Chap View Post
    Never been in this place, I have walked past it for about 25 years on my way to the ground, in recent years it always seemed packed with students, were they giving drinks away ??
    About 5 or so years ago it used to be dead on a match day, but gradually they started enticing students with decent deals. Became a bit of a pain in the arse, particularly when quiz night coincided with Tuesday evening games, and I gradually started going elsewhere. Hadn't even realised it wasn't open this season as hadn't been near it since before term started and have been going to the Bowling Green on the few games I've been to this year.

Went in there before the game tonight and it looks exactly the same, not that i was expecting any kind of transformation. Beer was fine and the landlord (i presume) said a couple of new ones were coming in this week. Toilets were a bit funky, mind.

Dave, did you pop in for a late one, for the journey home?u

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    Other than rightwing, I doubt very much if anybody will recall Bill Dunlop or George Willis. I know Willis signed from Argyle in his twilight years, and liked Exeter so much he stayed here after his playing days.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalad View Post
    Is that George, who used to play for Wolves and ran the Ewe Bar at the Uni?
    The very same. Died a couple of years ago. A great bloke, worked with him part time, his son Roy still comes to City games.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    Other than rightwing, I doubt very much if anybody will recall Bill Dunlop or George Willis. I know Willis signed from Argyle in his twilight years, and liked Exeter so much he stayed here after his playing days.
    Managed the Ewe Bar at the Uni. For many years until his retirement. Anyone who was a student in the 70s and 80s will have come across him. Well known figure in Heavitree. The kids will never have heard of him, true, but thats always the case.